• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Switching the DNS from Bind to MS DNS - Bug ?

M

madguy24

Plesk's release note says 9.5.1 support 5.2 version of MS DNS (http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/Panel9.5/Windows/9.5.0/plesk-9.5.0-for-windows.htm) . May I know whether 9.5.1 supports, MS DNS 6.0 version, or do we need to think about downgrading the version (not sure whether it is possible even).

We have the same issue reported, but unfortunately, no error logs when switching the DNS. This is the second server we are seeing where BIND DNS stop working all on a sudden without anything in the event logs. First one was a 2003 server and this one is 2008. Switching to MS DNS on 2003 did fix the issue, but switching in 2008 is not working.

Ran,

defpackagemng.exe --fix --type=dnsserver without any errors
dnsmng.exe REMOVE * also worked without any errors
dnsmng.exe UPDATE * also worked without any errors

But switching doesn't happen, even though the zones are created. No message in Plesk's log or in DNS server's log. What exactly happens as per the logs are..

1. MS DNS is started - Informational logs
2. It converts the forward zones - Information logs
3. It converts the reverse zones - Informational logs
4. MS DNS is stopped - Informational logs

Why did it stop ?

We are welcomed with the message -

================
Set default component failed: defpackagemng failed: Execute dnsmng.exe REMOVE * failed:
Execute dnsmng.exe UPDATE * failed:
================

Also, we tried to configure the default from cmd prompt

"%plesk_bin%\defpackagemng.exe" --set --type=dnsserver --default=msdns

and that also resulted in

===================
Execute dnsmng.exe REMOVE * failed
Execute dnsmng.exe UPDATE * failed
===================

And if we run dnsmng.exe REMOVE * and dnsmng.exe UPDATE * independently, it works.

Unfortunately, these error messages doesn't give a clue. I work for a support firm, SupportSages.com and is trying to help a client who is facing the issue. Few of our engineers did work on this issue and unfortunately the upstream provider of our client doesn't seem to be big enough to get official support from Plesk or refused to open a ticket on behalf of us. We continue to work on this, but still would like a confirmation.

Can we get a confirmation from the team that, Plesk 9.5.1 support 5.2 and above (including 6.0.6002.18005) and not just =5.2 version.

Thank you for detailed description of problem. I have forwarded it to developers for clarification and I will update this thread with their answer as soon as I receive it.

Thank you

It seems like issue with BIND was internationlized domain name. For the last 24 hours after removing the DNS zone, no issue so far. Still switching is not possible, probably because of no support for MS DNS 6.0 which I hope to see soon.

Got same problem

We installed Plesk 9.5.2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition environment.

At beginning, all was working fine with Microsoft DNS 6.1.
The problem arise when we installed Microsoft .NET 4.0.
After that, Microsoft DNS integration with Plesk Control Panel stopped working due an error on dnsmng.exe.

As a workaround, we switched to BIND DNS.

When we try to switch back to DNS we receive the following error:

Error: Set default component failed: defpackagemng failed: Execute dnsmng.exe REMOVE * failed:
Execute dnsmng.exe UPDATE * failed:

We got same problem on a server running Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft DNS 5.

It seems to be some kind of inconsitency with .NET Framework or something.

Same DNS Problem

Yep, same here...

And when I change the DNS to bind all dns domains become uneditable with warning: "DNS zone of a domain alias cannot be edited because the domain alias is turned off". But all domains are indeed master???

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, fixed the domains not resolving (DNS zone of a domain alias cannot be edited because the domain alias is turned off) problem by updating the plesk database:

UPDATE [psa].[dbo].[dns_zone] SET status = 0 WHERE status = 2;

I have the same problem, I need urgent help??? What should I do to fix this??
I buy here and then happened something like Plesk?? I pay for it and get such a software??

I can not create domains ... the customers are waiting ... Please for quick help?

Fix to can be applied on Parallels Plesk Panel versions 8.2 ?

I need the Fix to can be applied on Parallels Plesk Panel versions 8.2 ?

my customers are down for 72 hours and Parallels hasn´t any solution on 8.2 version !!

Please help us with this issue .

Thank you

Inet H. D.

Back