• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service FAILED on latest Debian 9 / Obsidian ?

Gary B.

New Pleskian
Hi all,

Seems that systemd have decided to remove the 'e' flag on the systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service, wich result in a failed state for this service as the 'e' directive is used by psa-mail-drivers config files :

● systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service - Cleanup of Temporary Directories
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service; static)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-03-02 15:26:08 CET; 8min ago
Docs: man:tmpfiles.d(5)
man:systemd-tmpfiles(8)
Process: 25028 ExecStart=/bin/systemd-tmpfiles --clean (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 25028 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 02 15:26:08 plesk1 systemd[1]: Starting Cleanup of Temporary Directories...
Mar 02 15:26:08 plesk1 systemd-tmpfiles[25028]: [/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/psa-mail-driver-common.conf:3] Unknown command type 'e'.
Mar 02 15:26:08 plesk1 systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 02 15:26:08 plesk1 systemd[1]: Failed to start Cleanup of Temporary Directories.
Mar 02 15:26:08 plesk1 systemd[1]: Unit systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service entered failed state.

root@plesk1:~# cat /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/psa-mail-driver-common.conf
# remove temporary files lost by mail handlers
# delay is required to avoid removing of files currently in use
e /opt/psa/handlers/spool - - - 1d -

Obsidian and Debian 9 are on latest packages versions available.

Any tought if Plesk is working on this issue ?

Hi IgorG

I would love to, but when i click on "submit reports", i run into this error :

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

I would love to, but when i click on "submit reports", i run into this error :
This is because you get permission to create reports only after you write at least 5 useful posts.

Looks like that problem related to the fact that actually you have Debian 8 but not Debian 9. We have already internal bugreport PPP-48275 regarding this issue with the behaviour described by you above. systemd added command 'e', not removed it.

@IgorG the same happens btw. on Ubuntu 16.04:

May 23 04:39:06 srv systemd[1]: Starting Cleanup of Temporary Directories...
May 23 04:39:07 srv systemd-tmpfiles[25229]: [/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/psa-mail-driver-common.conf:3] Unknown command type 'e'.
May 23 04:39:07 srv systemd-tmpfiles[25229]: [/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/var.conf:14] Duplicate line for path "/var/log", ignoring.
May 23 04:39:07 srv systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 23 04:39:07 srv systemd[1]: Failed to start Cleanup of Temporary Directories.
May 23 04:39:07 srv systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 23 04:39:07 srv systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Back