• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question There are no products for your operating system

MisterM74

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS' 'Linux' '8.5.2111' 'x86_64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello to all

I have a big problem with one of my clients.

He is on CENTOS 8 and here is the message he displays when I want to upgrade to PLESK_18_0_49

There is no product for your operating system
( 'CentOS' 'Linux' '8.5.2111' 'x86_64' ) available
from the selected source.

What should I do?

Mz

Best practice is to setup a new server and migrate the contents from the old one using Plesk Migrator.
super, great answer, I did not expect this answer
Good news to give to my client.
Is to say that you recommend this to everyone, CENTOS CENTOS CENTOS
Thank you

Sorry to read that you are not satisfied with this answer. However, CentOS 8 was end of life at the end of 2021. Plesk does not support operating systems that do not receive updates from their vendors. This has always been, and EOL of CentOS 8 was known for a long time before in 2021. Now, more than a year later, the most reliable upgrade path is to migrate to a new system.

Last edited:
If you're not on CentOS Stream (which is supported by Plesk) but instead of plain old CentOS 8, then you're out of luck, sadly. You could try to upgrade your CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream but it's not recommended (it's like trying to upgrade Windows Server 2012 R2 to 2019, it's never recommended). The recommended path is always to spin up a new server and migrate the roles and files to the new server.

Does it suck? Yes. Working in IT for over 10 years taught me doing any major in place upgrades is always proper prone and the path of less resistance is to spin up new system and migrate. (Of course there's exceptions to the rule such as ESXi, but doing an in place upgrade from, say, ESXi 6.5 to 6.7 or even to 7 is always done as a form of a re-OS, it's just that it's done in a way so all the operating system files itself is basically on one partition compared to where the configuration files are so the upgrade is less painful. That and usually if you're running ESXi, you're usually running in pairs anyways so you upgrade one at a time while failing over the VMs to the one that's still in production while you take the other offline to do it so in an event that something does happen you're not left without nothing).

If you're not on CentOS Stream (which is supported by Plesk) but instead of plain old CentOS 8, then you're out of luck, sadly. You could try to upgrade your CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream but it's not recommended (it's like trying to upgrade Windows Server 2012 R2 to 2019, it's never recommended). The recommended path is always to spin up a new server and migrate the roles and files to the new server.

Does it suck? Yes. Working in IT for over 10 years taught me doing any major in place upgrades is always proper prone and the path of less resistance is to spin up new system and migrate. (Of course there's exceptions to the rule such as ESXi, but doing an in place upgrade from, say, ESXi 6.5 to 6.7 or even to 7 is always done as a form of a re-OS, it's just that it's done in a way so all the operating system files itself is basically on one partition compared to where the configuration files are so the upgrade is less painful. That and usually if you're running ESXi, you're usually running in pairs anyways so you upgrade one at a time while failing over the VMs to the one that's still in production while you take the other offline to do it so in an event that something does happen you're not left without nothing).
Not compatible ...
Thanks as well

I would not say "totally" dangerous, but expect issues when the system has configurations that are not "standard". It is unpredictable what will happen, for that reason I did not recommend this path.

Yes, again, the administrators propose it, I do not know if you make TEAM of plesk, but ****, sorry to be so grumpy like that, I know what to answer, if you say that, the end of life CENTOS, date of 2021, then why plesk did not make the necessary to say, end, one stops the support and the installation of this version

Actually, it has been discussed in length here on the forum since the beginning of 2021. Also, Plesk always has up-to-date software requirements published on Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian.

In addition to that, several Plesk Knowledge Base articles have been published on migration procedures. But even if you missed all these, the Internet itself is full of warning advices on the EOL of CentOS 8. Even a simple Google search for "CentOS 8" brings up an article in the first result rank that in its excerpt states: "Feb 9, 2022 — The CentOS Linux 8 packages have been removed from the mirrors."

It's really not something that other software vendors must tell customers, but a very typical system administrator job to maintain a system properly. Besides, Plesk had extended availability of their archives beyond the end of CentOS 8 for months at the beginning of 2022. Is it really thinkable that after all the news online on EOL of CentOS 8 a responsible system administrator could not know about it and even after December 31st, 2021 has passed, this was still not noticed?

Plesk delivers a wealth of tools and information, but in the end, we cannot operate your server for you. The basic operating system tasks are the responsibility of the system administrator. Even now, that all this is long past, Plesk still gives you options how to migrate your existing installation. I do understand that this is a lot of work for you now, but it is the maximum that a software vendor can do.

If you do not wish to do the migration process yourself, Plesk might even be able to help you beyond what is our responsibility. For that case I suggest to contact Plesk Professional Service if they can migrate your system for you at cost. Please check it out here:

I do not want to sell you something, only trying to ease the situation for you. But please also understand that beyond the enormous number of support steps that were already taken since the beginning of 2021 we are now in 2023 and EOL of CentOS 8 is long past. It is just not possible to maintain old systems forever.

Back