• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question CentOS2Alma conversion: Your expectations and experience?

"Conversion inside containers (like Virtuozzo containers, Docker Containers, etc) are not supported." So I guess, that as long as it remains a container inside a virtualization environment it won't work. If you can convert it to something that behaves as if it was a fully self-sufficient server, e.g. a cloud account or virtual server that can boot from an image of your choice, that will probably work.

I can confirm that the script is looking good. At least we won‘t be able to migrate that soon due to the fact that we still have more than 100 customers using actively PHP 5.3.

Totally understand that the old PHP is out of support for a long time already, but many applications do not run on newer PHP versions and it still will take a long time to recode.

We are looking forward to run this conversion tool on 9 CentOS servers. Currently in the planning stages. We are going to run this tool on cloned servers first.

Unfortunately I do not think we will be running this conversion anytime soon. We have many websites running PHP 7.1 or older and it will take a very long time for this to change.

@Peter Debik Are you aware of any limitations in regards to the amount of logical volumes a CentOS server can have in order for the upgrade script to work? We have VM's with 3 to 9 logical volumes and are running into a bug that seems to be related to the amount of logical volumes a CentOS VPS has.

Because of this bug the upgrade script ran into an issue with the SQLite3 database that could not be found.

Unfortunately we lost the logs related to this bug. I'm hoping that my explanation will give you enough information to debug the issue further.

I suggest to file the case in the Plesk Github issue tracker anyway: Issues · plesk/centos2alma
With or withouts. Maybe you can describe what happened in more details. The developer of the script is highly knowledgeable and might be able to derive causes and necessary fixes from a good description.

Well, I have some white knuckles right now.... tried this on a Linode.... been over an hour since I have seen:

****************************** WARNING *********************************************** ] 10:20 / 22:33
The conversion is ready to begin. The server will be rebooted in 45 seconds.
The conversion process will take approximately 25 minutes. If you wish to prevent the reboot, simply
terminate the centos2alma process. Please note that Plesk functionality is currently unavailable.
**************************************************************************************

[========================>( stage 7 / action pause before reboot ) ] 11:05 / 22:33
**************************************************************************************
The conversion is ready to begin. The server will now be rebooted into the temporary OS distribution.
You cannot connect to the server via SSH during this process. To monitor the process, use a serial port console.
The conversion process will take about 25 minutes. Current server time: 20:17:44.
Once you are able to connect to the server, use one of the following commands to see or monitor the conversion status:
/root/centos2alma --status
or
/root/centos2alma --monitor

Using the Linode Lish consoles, I only have access to grub.

I'll update this later, but I am not confident at this point, considering it's been over an hour now. I cannot connect to the server and everything is down.

@IanScott To check what is going on you need your data center to connect a KVM console to your server so that you can see where it hangs in the boot phase. I've observed many times that SELinux relabelling of security contexts of files is causing an extremely long hold-up. This can easily take an hour or even longer, depending on the speed of your cpu, hard disk access and the number of files on the system. Even with /var/www and /home excluded, it'll probably last at least 20 minutes, typically 40 just for the rest of the files. But to really see where the boot phase hangs you need the console. It's a hardware device that the data center attaches to the server that lets you remotely see the screen of the server as if you were in front of it.

Any plan for supporting the upgrade inside virutozzo containers? Given that a significant number of users predominantly opt for VPS servers over dedicated ones, this feature would be highly valuable.

It is under discussion, but there are no specific plans yet. I'd not count on this to be ready in time.

Hi there,
I have done a migration a couple of days ago and all seemed to be working correctly except for a Redis server that I had configured outside of Plesk. I was able to get it working again after a reinstall of Redis itself. Then today I found out that all mails from all domains keep getting deferred. I have tried these instructions but to no avail. Any ideas on how to get it working again? Server is on AL8.9, Plesk 18.0.59, running Postfix and Dovecot.

@PieterC23 By "migration" you mean not centos2alma conversion, but a migration using Plesk Migrator?
What is the exact error message on deferred mails?
Did you test mails against mail-tester.com? What is mail-tester.com saying about the mails you send?

@PieterC23 By "migration" you mean not centos2alma conversion, but a migration using Plesk Migrator?
What is the exact error message on deferred mails?
Did you test mails against mail-tester.com? What is mail-tester.com saying about the mails you send?
Hi Peter, sorry I maent centos2alma conversion using the provided script. The error message in mailq was "delivery temporarily suspended: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024: Connection refused". I tried the plesk repair --mail -y, but this also did not solve the problem. Then I noticed that the Plesk Email Security extension mentioned that Amavis and ClamAV were not installed (even though I recall they were installed on CentOS7). I reinstalled those and that got the mail to work again and I was able to requeue all deferred mail using postsuper -r ALL.

Hi All,

In our environment we are using CloudLinux 7.9 as OS and on top of it we have hosted plesk obsidian 18.0.52 . Since EOL is near we would like to migrate it to Almalinux8 or inplace upgrade of CloudLinux8.

When we checked with CloudLinux they said only for Cpanel/no panel for now they have come up the feature of supporting inplace upgrade from CloudLinux 7 to 8 . But for plesk is not supported yet.

Any suggestions of idea how to perform this upgrade or anyone already tried ? Kindly advise

Hi All,

In our environment we are using CloudLinux 7.9 as OS and on top of it we have hosted plesk obsidian 18.0.52 . Since EOL is near we would like to migrate it to Almalinux8 or inplace upgrade of CloudLinux8.

When we checked with CloudLinux they said only for Cpanel/no panel for now they have come up the feature of supporting inplace upgrade from CloudLinux 7 to 8 . But for plesk is not supported yet.

Any suggestions of idea how to perform this upgrade or anyone already tried ? Kindly advise
Since in-place upgrades for Plesk on CloudLinux 7 to 8 aren't supported, consider setting up a new server with AlmaLinux 8, then use Plesk's Migrator Tool to transfer your data and configurations. Ensure thorough backups before starting and test the migration in a non-production environment first. This approach minimizes risk and ensures a smoother transition.

many of you are still using CentOS 7.9. Support for CentOS 7.9 will end June 30th, 2024. Since 2023 Plesk provides a tool to convert a CentOS 7.9 installation to an Alma 8 installation. The conversion tool does pre-upgrade checks, then converts the operating system including repositories and binaries that need to be upgraded, then also upgrades Plesk to the Alma 8 version. The script is available for free at GitHub - plesk/centos2alma: CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8 conversion tool .

I wonder who of you has already used it and what your experiences where? What were your expectations and have these expectations been met? Do you plan a conversion or rather migrate your CentOS 7.9 servers to another operating system using Plesk Migrator?
Many users have utilized the CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8 conversion tool provided by Plesk since its release in 2023. Feedback has generally been positive, with users appreciating the streamlined process and seamless transition to AlmaLinux 8. Expectations of a smooth migration with minimal disruption have largely been met. Some users may still opt to migrate to other operating systems using Plesk Migrator depending on their specific needs and preferences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back