• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue This server accepts RC4 cipher, but only with older protocol versions

maniot

New Pleskian
Hello,
I recently upgraded plesk to 12.5.30 and after checking my ssl i've been capped to "B" on ssllabs for having:This server accepts RC4 cipher, but only with older protocol versions.
I've searched the forum and the documentation but can't find how to disable RC4 cipher.
I've followed the doc: Tune Plesk to Meet PCI DSS on Linux, but with no luck, it doesn't change.

best regards,

maniot

Hi maniot,

pls. DESCRIBE, what you already did to solve your issue, because the documentation(s) recommend different solutions - we can not guess what you did.

Pls. post your file "/etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/pci-compliance.conf" and ( if available! ) depending configuration files ( /etc/apache2/mods-available/ssl.conf + /etc/nginx/conf.d/ssl.conf ). Pls. note that the apache - path may differ to your system, if you use a RHEL/CentOS - based system.

Hi maniot,

pls. DESCRIBE, what you already did to solve your issue, because the documentation(s) recommend different solutions - we can not guess what you did.

Pls. post your file "/etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/pci-compliance.conf" and ( if available! ) depending configuration files ( /etc/apache2/mods-available/ssl.conf + /etc/nginx/conf.d/ssl.conf ). Pls. note that the apache - path may differ to your system, if you use a RHEL/CentOS - based system.

hello,
I issued the command: plesk sbin pci_compliance_resolver --enable and restarted the server.
the file pci-compliance.conf doesn't exist, however there is a file called .pci-compliance.conf.swp
I'm using a Centos 6.7, so what would be the path to ssl.config?

best regards,

Maniot

Hi maniot,

just use for example the "locate" command, if you don't know your paths to your apache - webserver configuration files.

Example:

locate ssl.conf

How to install "mlocate" on CentOS:

yum -y update
yum -y install mlocate

Update the mlocate database over the command line( should be done on a daily basis, for best result to your "locate" - search! ):

updatedb

IF
you followed the Plesk documentation at

you should have noticed, that you have more options with the "server_pref utility" ( server_pref: Interface and System Preferences | Plesk 12.5. online documentation ) and as well with the "sslmng utility":

If you need to set specific parameters for some services, call manually the sslmng utility:

Code:
plesk sbin sslmng --ciphers="EECDH+AESGCM+AES128:EECDH+AESGCM+AES256:EDH+AESGCM+AES128:EDH+AESGCM+AES256:EECDH+SHA256+AES128:EECDH+SHA384+AES256:EDH+SHA256+AES128:EDH+SHA256+AES256:EECDH+SHA1+AES128:EECDH+SHA1+AES256:EDH+SHA1+AES128:EDH+SHA1+AES256:EECDH+HIGH:EDH+HIGH:AESGCM+AES128:AESGCM+AES256:SHA256+AES128:SHA256+AES256:SHA1+AES128:SHA1+AES256:HIGH:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!RC4:!MD5:!PSK:!KRB5:!aECDH:!EDH+3DES" --protocols="TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2" --strong-dh --disable-tls-compression

Add the option "--service <some_service>" to the command above and change SSL/TLS settings of a particular service if you need.

Note: The changes made by the sslmng utility can be overwritten by the subsequent call of the server_pref utility or by Plesk update.

The usage of the general configuration file "/etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/pci-compliance.conf" is described at:

Hi maniot,

just use for example the "locate" command, if you don't know your paths to your apache - webserver configuration files.
Example:

locate ssl.conf

How to install "mlocate" on CentOS:

yum -y update
yum -y install mlocate

Update the mlocate database over the command line( should be done on a daily basis, for best result to your "locate" - search! ):

updatedb

IF
you followed the Plesk documentation at

you should have noticed, that you have more options with the "server_pref utility" ( server_pref: Interface and System Preferences | Plesk 12.5. online documentation ) and as well with the "sslmng utility":

The usage of the general configuration file "/etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/pci-compliance.conf" is described at:

Hi UFHH01,
As mentioned i'm a bit worried about the fact that the file "/etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/pci-compliance.conf" is missing. Could you sent me the contents of that file?
I also changed the file "/etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf" ,restarted the apache server and tested again on ssllabs. unfortunately the result says the same: This server accepts RC4 cipher, but only with older protocol versions. Grade capped to B

regards,

maniot

Hi maniot,

I noticed, that with Plesk 12.5, there is a serious change in the configuration files to Plesk 12.0. The desired changes should be done at "/etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/ssl.conf" ( but it is really recommended to change that over the "server_pref utility" or/and "sslmng utility", as already stated in my previous post, because other wise Plesk updates/upgrade/patches may overwrite your manual changes! ).
Pls. be as well informed, that the changes for your sw-cp-server is relevant for the Plesk Control Panel and not for your hosted domains! Plesk uses his own webserver.

When you only change the apache-webserver configuration files and don't bother to even have a look at your nginx configuration files, you might experience no changes at all after your modifications for your hosted domains, when using the combination apache+nginx. Pls. be aware that with most common used domain settings, nginx is IN FRONT of apache!

As a final information, pls. consider to read and follow as well the cipher recommendations at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Still no luck. As i understood using "plesk sbin pci_compliance_resolver --enable" should create "/etc/sw-cp-server/conf.d/pci-compliance.conf" but it doesn't! however my ssl.conf files are updated. I have ngnix disabled.
My "etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf" looks like:
LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3
SSLCipherSuite ECDHE-ECDSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:ECDHE-ECDSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:AES128-GCM-SHA256:AES256-GCM-SHA384:AES128-SHA256:AES256-SHA256:AES128-SHA:AES256-SHA:DES-CBC3-SHA:!DSS
SSLHonorCipherOrder on

regards,
maniot

Finally succes! I can't figure out why but after enabling nginx and using the command: "plesk sbin pci_compliance_resolver --enable" it works and RC4 cipher is no longer a problem.

Back