• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Too many open files

Dear marcbote,

The activation of the piped logs did not fix the problems (I have over 1300 domains on this particular server).

So I did the nickpick-solution.
That helped and I got the sites up again.

I also tested the igorx-solution. That worked too.

I read that nickpick switched to Ensim...
That is not an option for me, because Ensim does not (yet) have a migration utility.

distros

Hello Atomicturtle.

Sorry for the slow response. I needed to consume some holiday time :D

I use Centos 5.0 and 4.4 and RHEL4.2

i am also haveing the to many open file requests.

I only have 25 domains, 10 of those are being used, but i have 600+ sub domains...

i did the quick uplimi -2048 fix.

but i want something that is going to work better.

i have plesk 8.1 on freebsd

Originally posted by jjmusicpro
is this something you can do? i have no idea lol

If you don't feel sure about this things, and you can wait, then just wait till the atomicturtle comes up with some rpm's.

Its on my list, I havent forgotten about you guys. Just need to get some other stuff done in ASL before I can get back to this.

Originally posted by nickpick
If you don't feel sure about this things, and you can wait, then just wait till the atomicturtle comes up with some rpm's.

what is a rpm?

too many files . . .

I am getting too many files errors when I run PEAR's Queue_mail class to send even moderate amounts of email to my host provider's smtp server. This PEAR class uses MySQL to store emails in a queue and provides a method to send batches from the queue off to the smtp server (I am using Godaddy which requires the use of their own smtp server for all outgoing mail from virtual dedicated servers). I believe, although I am not certain, that the PEAR class bypasses qmail entirely. In any event, even after just 100 or so emails, the whole process slows and dies and when I ssh in to see what's going on I get the dreaded too many files errors.

My questions are:
- which, if any, of the fixes in this thread might apply to my situation? I am at the moment only hosting 3 sites so this is not an issue regarding # of domains, but rather Fedora Core 6 and/or Plesk's default limits on file handles. Most of the discussion in this thread seem to relate to increasing the # of domains so I am wondering if these tweaks might more generally alleviate file handle restrictions.

- is there a better/less overhead-intensive way to send mass emails using PHP (and MySQL if necessary)

i tried raising ulimit -d to 10000 but that does not seem to help.

thanks in advance for any advice or help.

this is a huge problem and no one here seems help with this.

Hello all,

We ran into a problem with the dreaded "Too many open files" error message in Apache which caused it to crash and left it in a non-startable state.

We fixed the problem by editing the /etc/security/limits.conf on a RHEL box, saving and restarting apache.

I hope this helps some one.

ok explain what you did...edited what.... what commands etc?

Back