• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Too many open files

thanks for the info. is that intended to fix just the "more than 900 domains" problem or any problem that results from too many files?

At this time we are not using piped logs, and have aprox 550 domains using plesk 8.2.1

We changed those settings in response to apache crashing due to "too many open files" error.

The settings we changed only change the number of open files the system will allow in both soft and hard limits, it doesnt have anything to do with any specific application such as plesk, apache, etc.

RPM's?

Any solution for this?

I have more then 900 domains, so piped logs wont work.

I tried to recompile but all that stuff seems to be a bad idea.

I am using CentOS 5.1-32

Is someone having recompiled RPM's that I could install?

atomicturtle where r u?

I tried to recompile but all that stuff seems to be a bad idea.

Why does that seem to be a bad idea? I agree it is not so nice that you can't just yum update those packages anymore, but according to How do I enable Piped Logs for Apache Web Server: "If you have more that 900 domains, you still have to recompile Apache and some other system packages as described in article 260". If it's the only solution, I don't think it's a bad idea. Or you'll have to get more servers.

Why does that seem to be a bad idea? I agree it is not so nice that you can't just yum update those packages anymore, but according to How do I enable Piped Logs for Apache Web Server: "If you have more that 900 domains, you still have to recompile Apache and some other system packages as described in article 260". If it's the only solution, I don't think it's a bad idea. Or you'll have to get more servers.

I agree, I tried to recompile but this problem still continues.

I had this problem and recompiled all of that stuff and my problem went away. its not elegant but it does work.

i would recomend using piped logs no matter what as that will reduce the number of open files as well.

The php packages that ART has are already a high FD build, but he doesnt do apache, openssl, curl, mod_ssl, etc so you will need to those.

Just go to http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/os/SRPMS/ and download the sources you need.

Then run rpmbuild --rebuild rpm-here and see what happens. Most likely the first couple of times it will fail because you need to install some pre-requisites first, just use yum to install those and keep trying.

Back