• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue transvhosts.pl issues - how to recover

gennolo

Basic Pleskian
Yesterday I launched the transvhosts.pl script to move two large domains (80G+) to a secondary larger disk because primary disk was full.

Script was taking hours, so I let it run in background...
This morning I logged into server and see that :

- Both domains data were succesfully migrated from /var/www/vhosts to /vhosts-data (second disk mountpoint)
- Everything is working fine - web / ftp services are correctly "seeing" the domains on the new disk

But :

- Inside /vhosts-data/domain1.com/ the "conf" and "statistics" symlinks are NOT pointing to new location but OLD
location /var/www/vhosts/system/.....

- Inside /var/www/vhosts/.... I still have the whole copy of one of the two domains.

This make me think that the script should have somehow crashed.

How can I better troubleshoot this ? Is there some Plesk log for the transvhosts script (unfortunately I lost the onscreen log due to disconnection from remote machine)... ?

Any suggestion to "repair" the situation ? is it sufficient to fix the symlinks and remove the domain data from the old path or do I have to consider anything else?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
It would certainly be an honor to assist you today. However I would like to pre-warn you, i personally would have came at this from whole different angle. Truthfully, I would have kept as much of the focus of the V-host configs as possible. I can outline a plan as to how I may have done things here for you, and if you are interested in the breakdown, "ask and you shall receive." First I will say my Linux Distro of choice for Plesk is CentOS7. My plan could be successful under Ubuntu as well by using the Ubuntu versions of any commands that may vary between the two distributions.

In a Dedicated Server environment, assuming I have physical access to the machine I could kept it simple by adding a drive to the current RAID Array. After adding the physical hardware I would have just used 'lv-extend' to resize the logical volume without causing any more downtime to the website than the time required to add that physical hardware.

In a Virtual Server environment most providers would make this kind of process relatively simple by automatically resizing the logical volume when you purchase the upgrade.

So i guess my question is this... Who is you provider? and are you a virtual or physical device infrastructure?

Hello,
thank you for your sysadmin review , but it looks like a lttle "OT" to me - I am aware of better ways to handle the job but unfortunately there was a precise way I had to do in this way (with an additional disk). :( Now since migrations looks completed I just need to know how to do things and what things to consider about Plesk configuration in the situation I am in.. Thanks

My personal opinion is you already put the "OT" in.... doing this with lv-extend would take a "linux virgin" a lot less time to figure out how to resize that volume if he the right tutorial... just saying u probably put several hours into this already.... so if you "restore" and take my path.... whats another 45? minutes?

Back