• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Trouble importing 4GB mysqldump database into Centos/Plesk

Myrin new

New Pleskian
When importing my 4GB mysql database:

1. into phpMyAdmin: it exceeds max upload.
2. via command line with mysql pipe command: ERROR 2006 (HY000) at line 656: MySQL server has gone away
3. using a third party utility BigDump.php: MySQL: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

Has anyone had any success importing large databases into Mariadb on Centos / Plesk Onyx?

Big Dump by Ozerov is the way to go (and from experience probably the only way to go). It is essential to present the import in very small segments to the server. Configure Big Dump as it's manual describes it the way where it imports for example 10 datasets, then quits and restarts itself to do the next 10 and so on ... step by step. Baby steps.

The "max_allowed_packet" size must be set in the MySQL (MariaDB) configuration file. This can normally be done in the
"[mysqld]" section of /etc/my.cnf. Simply add a line like
max_allowed_packet=1G
then restart the database server.

Thank you for your experience. I did configure Big Dump to use a lower dataset of 500 lines per session with a 90 millisecond, after setting MariaDB parameter max_allowed_packet=1G in my /etc/my.cnf file. Big Dump successfully ran it's first loop, then something on server crashed. Needed to increase my Logical Volume size on new server from 4GB to 500GB to import 4GB database and other files. Success!!!!!!!!

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 5.20.52 PM.png

Last edited:
Back