• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Trying to move from 7.5.4 to 9.0

DRYALLS

Basic Pleskian
I'm attempting to move from a RHEL3 PLESK7.5.4 to a CentOS 5.2 PLESK 9.0.1. The 2 servers have different license keys [if that makes any difference].

All commands were issued from the new server. PLESK 7.5.4 was running but I had disabled one client called 'Sam' and ensured that all the domains that belonged to 'Sam' were giving 404 errors. I wanted to ensure that all other clients were still able to run their sites, while I exported one client at a time.

Everything has run fine, I haven't seen any error messages, but it all fails at the last hurdle, after over 5 hours. :(

1. ssh root@oldserver '/usr/local/psa/bin/psadump -f - --clients-logins=/root/sam --nostop | split -b1000m - dump.'
  2. #/root/sam is a file containing one line, which is the word 'Sam'
  3. cat dump.* >dump75
  4. /usr/local/psa/bin/backup-convert --verbose convert --output dump8 dump75
  5. /usr/local/psa/bin/pre9-backup-convert -v convert --directory=/var/lib/psa/dumps dump8
  6. #At this point I have still had no errors. Lots of output, but no errors
  7. cd /var/lib/psa/dumps
  8. /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --create-map converted_info_0903152056.xml -map Sam.map
  9. #Sam.map looks fine, I edit the gloabal ip section to insert the new IP address to replace the old
  10. /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore converted_info_0903152056.xml -map Sam.map -level clients -verbose

After all that, I get the following output

Backup file has wrong format
Dump has critical errors.

In PLESK GUI, Backup Manager, the converted_info_0903152056.xml file is listed, but the Comments column says:

This file is not a valid backup file.

Can anybody help please?

Edit: Amended item 1 to include nostop parameter.

Last edited:
Plesk 9.0 can only import Plesk 8.0 dumps. It is written in the docs.
So you have to upgrade / migrate to a Plesk 8.0 installation first. And I'd recommend using the most recent Plesk 8 distribution possible (that is 8.6) to minimize migration problems. I've sucessfully upgraded Plesk 8.4 so far though.

Back