• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Two customers on same Plesk Server with external MX can't receive mails from each other

panman61

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 9.2 und Centos 8.4
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.62 #2 und 18.0.41 #1
Both customers have an mx-record configured pointing to their company based mailservers. On the plesk side each customer has configured only one mailaccount for sending purposes.
Deactivating mail service disables also the possibility to send - leaving mail service active results in trying to deliver mails via dovecot, which is not possible because the accounts are on the customerside (via mx).
This problem is well known but i haven't seen a solution which is working with Plesk Obsidian.

Anyone with a solution?
Thanks
Willi

Is there a reason why they couldn't configure SMTP for their web application? That would be the easiest solution is to configure their web app to connect to their company's SMTP server for sending (if they're using M365 or Exchange, they would just need to setup a connector allowing all emails from the IP of the server and have just the MX record set as the SMTP address. Plus this way there's less of a chance of things would be marked as spam and such.

Anyways, what you'll want to do is update the domain's mail settings to the setting "disabled for incoming mail" so the domain can only use send mail. See https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...ice-are-delivered-locally-to-the-Plesk-server for more info.

Thanks for quick response!
Disabling for incoming mail results in disabling the sending mailbox used as SMTP-Smarthost. The customer wants to keep this behavior for some reasons.
I'm looking for a way to keep the smarthost functionality AND to prevent plesk from local delivery.

The way your client wants to set it up simply isn't possible without a lot of manual modification of postfix settings and even then it's possible that the configuration will get overwritten. If that's the case you'd better off just setting them up on their own VPS with their own personal plesk instance so you can configure it server wide. I would recommend that you go to Smarthost/External SMTP and vote for this so smart host can become an actual official thing for per domain instead of server wide.

Good idea! I vote for this good idea which is already over 10 years old!
I'm paying for several Plesk Servers and it would be nice if I don't have to wait another 10 years ... ;-)
Nevertheless many thanks
Willi

Back