• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Umlauts in email address error

SKDamon

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

When I try to create an email handle containing umlauts, Plesk shows this error:

The specified email address is not valid. You need to specify a valid email address like [email protected].​

Why is that? I thought ever since IDN, umlauts and special characters should be supported? Technically, postfix could handle straight UTF-8 through smtputf8_enable config flag.
I also tried using PunyCode in the mail handle, but modern email clients use UTF-8, so incoming mail just bounces.

Is there any way to receive emails sent to a mail handle containing umlauts with Plesk?

BTW I'm using Plesk Onyx + Postfix + qMail, but I'm looking to migrate from qMail to Dovecot, because apparently dovecot can handle auto-creation of IMAP folders and supports mapping special folders.

TL;DR
Plesk does not support non-ascii chars in email addresses.
Please vote here if you think Plesk should support UTF-8 chars in email addresses:
Add UTF-8 Support for Email Addresses

I just tested:

plesk bin mail --rename [email protected] -new öld.example.com
returned an error about invalid charset in mail_name column.

Indeed, mail_name column in psa DB's mail table is ascii_general_ci
So.... I backed up the table, changed the collation to utf8_general_ci (which all other columns in that table already have).
Then I edited postfix's virtual address database in /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db (See this guide: Unable to send an email using webmail: User unknown in virtual alias table )
Next up I enabled postfix's UTF-8 Support by running postconf smtputf8_enable=yes; postfix reload;
And lastly, I copied /var/qmail/mailnames/example.com/old to .../öld

Sent a test mail, and it was successfully delivered to ö[email protected]'s inbox folder. But that user can't log in via IMAP anymore...

Last edited:
Back