• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Unable to Migrate Plesk from Lightsail

odetterai

New Pleskian
Hello Friends,
I'm new to Plesk. It was installed automatically via Lightsail instance. Now I tried to migrate Plesk from Lightsail to another cloud host. I followed all the documentation but migration failed to initiate with the following error message:

Unable to login to the source server 'source' (dynamic Lightsail IP address) by SSH service: administrator login and/or password are not correct.
Set valid SSH credentials for the server and click "Prepare migration".

I used the following login credentials:
IP address: Lightsail dynamic IP address
Root login username: root
root password:
SSH port: 22

If I'm not mistaken, the username for Plesk Lightsail instance is ubuntu but not root.

Same issue here @odetterai.

You're right @IgorG, ubuntu is the username on Plesk Lightsail instances, but it does not have root permissions.
We can only log in as root, via sudo su, only after having first ssh logged in as ubuntu (via puTTY).

So how do we ssh log in as root on a LightSail instance, to which we can only log in as ubuntu, which doesn't have root permissions?
Is that specific to Plesk WebAdmin SE (which is only for LightSail) ?

Among options, I thought of:
  • Create a new user with root permissions
  • Set a password to root and change sshd_config to allow root login and authentication by password
  • I also found this solution, but obviously, ti doesnt' work, since the key is generated for the ubuntu user.
This step is required to be able to migrate.

Thanks already for your help.

Not sure that creating a new user with root permissions is a good idea because usually you already have a 'root' user. What sense to create one more user? Setting 'root' permissions is also could be a tricky task.

But the second and third options are ok.
  • The second is less secure to be honest, because you start using password authentication instead of key. Don't recommend.
  • The third option will work because the solution recommends to edit root's authorized_keys file.

And yes, the fourth option is to use full backup/restore.

@AYamshanov Thanks, the third option finally did the job!

Now... we can now connect from the new server to the LightSail instance through command line over ssh.
The migration starts, then fails on a new error (see attached)

Attachments

• Slack_mV0rE4mttf.png
    Slack_mV0rE4mttf.png
    255.5 KB · Views: 2
Back