• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Unable to update hosting preferences: Update FTP user failed: ftpmng --update-user fa

C

coolvibe

I feel like I'm in a circle maze.

My domains are registered with godaddy.

I have VPS hosting through another company.

I pointed my domains to this hosting company and it's confirmed because I can see the plesk splash screen when I enter the web addresses.

Plesk was recently installed on a freshly setup server.

The only change I made to the server prior to the plesk install was the install of SQL Server 2005 express.

When I try to add a domain I get the above mention error (Unable to update hosting preferences: Update FTP user failed: ftpmng --update-user failed: Default FTP Server isn't specified)

I was informed the remedy is to select a default domain. But, how can I do that, if I cannot even get the domains to host?

This is "drivin' me nuts"!!!

what am I missing here?

Wow, coolvibe worded it perfectly with "I feel like I'm in a circle maze."... this is my feeling with any and every Plesk related problem that pops up overnight.

I have a complex problem with Plesk where all my domains display the default plesk page and I get errors when I try to restore everything. I also get the error "ftpmng --set-ftp-passive-port-range failed: Default FTP Server isn't specified".
Like so many problems with Plesk this technical question has been asked a long time ago but not answered! Please help finding a possible cause and solution.

And a note to Parallels employees: Please try to answer any and all technical questions, because for every question there are probably a 100 people who are in the same Plesk issue.

A small follow-up to the question, when I try to set the default to the FTP server I get the following errors:
"Error: Set default component failed: defpackagemng failed: Execute ftpmng --reconfigure-all failed"

Try to find extended related errors in Event Viewer. Try to run manually 'ftpmng.exe --reconfigure-all' and post output with errors here.
And please do not mix forum's discussions with paid support. It is really very difficult to help you without access to your server and direct investigation logs, errors, etc.
Usually post here - I have error bla-bla-bla! Help me immediately! Do you really think that it is enough for understanding and troubleshooting such poor described problem in very complex product as Plesk?

more problems...

clean install plesk 9.3 w2008 with ftp installed and responding.

We were creating perfect ftp users with the complex passwords windows was asking coz of the policy password ...so we deactivated it coz our clients were complain. we turn off the password policy option and now...we cannot create or update users anymore...here is our event viewer log.. any idea?.

Log Name: Plesk
Source: ftpmng.exe
Date: 1/25/2010 5:33:57 PM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXX
Description:
Exception occurred. (COM Error 80020009) at addServer(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
at (IIsFtpServerAdapter::addServer line 184)
at createFtp(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)(FtpServerManager::createFtp line 745)
at reconfFtpUser(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, aiger)(FtpServerManager::reconfFtpUser line 941)
at updateUser(aiger)(FtpServerManager::updateUser line 428)
at execute console command --update-user(vconsoleapp::start line 129)
at execute "C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\/admin/bin/ftpmng" --update-user "--user-name=aiger"(vconsoleapp::run line 140)
Execute file name: C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\ftpmng.exe
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="ftpmng.exe" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-25T20:33:57.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>14</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Plesk</Channel>
<Computer>XXXXXX</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Exception occurred. (COM Error 80020009) at addServer(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
at (IIsFtpServerAdapter::addServer line 184)
at createFtp(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxFtpServerManager::createFtp line 745)
at reconfFtpUser(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, aiger)(FtpServerManager::reconfFtpUser line 941)
at updateUser(aiger)(FtpServerManager::updateUser line 428)
at execute console command --update-user(vconsoleapp::start line 129)
at execute "C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\/admin/bin/ftpmng" --update-user "--user-name=aiger"(vconsoleapp::run line 140)</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\ftpmng.exe</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Hi,

Plesk Creates windows registry entries for every of its component so it might be that registry entry for ftp server is not setup correctly.
what you can do is, compare with another working server's registry entries for this specific component like ftp server.

here you can find the registry entries for various plesk components:-
HKLM\Software\Plesk\PSA Config\Config\Packages\

Thanks
Geek4Support Team
http://blog.geek4support.com

Back