• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Update Git Version from 1.8.3 to 1.9

Stuart

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I want install VersionPress on a WordPress site I am setting up. However it is saying the following on setup:

Git version 1.8.3.1 detected with which there are known issues. Please install at least version 1.9

Is there a way for me to update the Git version? The

$ sudo yum install git

Command just responds with 'Nothing to do' as the 'latest version' is installed.

I am running Onyx 17.5.3 on CentOS 7.

Thanks

Stuart

Hello,

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this?

Personally, I am not sure how to upgrade beyond the 1.7.1 version that is currently on my server. I installed the Git extension via the Plesk GUI, so I am surprised that it would install such an older version.

I have tried the command above via SSH but I get the same message about 'Nothing to do' as it is on the latest version.

I am using Plesk 17.8 and CentOS6.7 (I wonder if that is the issue?).

Thanks for any help.

Damien

Hi Damien,

Could you say please why you use CentOS 6.7 that was released in September 2015?
Anyway, Plesk does not ship git package, it installs git from vendor repository. I have deployed CentOS 6.9 (it was updated to 6.10 :) ), update all packages and check git version:

Code:
# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.10 (Final)

# yum update
[...]
No Packages marked for Update

# yum info git
[...]
Available Packages
Name        : git
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 1.7.1
Release     : 9.el6_9
Size        : 4.6 M
Repo        : base
Summary     : Fast Version Control System
URL         : http://git-scm.com/
[...]

Here is an explanation from RedHat: Security Backporting Practice - Red Hat Customer Portal

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

When I originally set up the server, CentOS6.7 was the option that was available to me (amongst others) and I went for it not knowing which was the "right" or "wrong" one as such. The server was set up a few years ago though, so that might explain why it was such an old version.

Just to explain, I am primarily a web developer with limited knowledge on the whole server setup and am learning it now as I go, which might explain why I chose CentOS6.7 at the time of set up.

Anyway, I recently upgraded Plesk from 12.5 to 17.8 and through the available extensions, installed Git but the version is 1.7.1, which seems to be what your log is saying.

Do you think the next option is to upgrade CentOS 6 to 7? From what I have read online, there does not seem to be a straightforward process for that. Am I correct in saying that?

Damien

Even if you upgrade an operating system to the latest CentOS (7.5.1804), you can be able to install git-1.8.3.1 from base vendor repository.

If you have all required development tools, you can stay on CentOS 6.x while it supported; but will be great if you update the system to latest CentOS 6.x release because of security.
Anyway, if you plan an upgrade, create a backup before start.

The issue I have is the same as the original poster's. I am looking to upgrade Git to a version of 1.9 or higher, but it doesn't seem to be available when I check for an upgrade via SSH. That is leading me to believe that the higher version of Git is not available on CentOS6 (but I could be wrong on that).

For upgrading CentOS6 to CentOS7, I have read that I have to completely uninstall CentOS6 first and then install CentOS7, rather than there being an upgrade path. Is that correct?

Back