• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade 11.5.30 to 12.0.18 broke Sendmail

josie333

Basic Pleskian
Upgrade 11.5.30 to 12.0.18

Got lots of the following error messages......

plesk sendmail waitpid failed No child processes.

The following command shows a surprise resiult for me.....

[root@]# /sbin/service sendmail status
sendmail: unrecognized service

.....more puzzling is the command # whereis sendmail

the results are....
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
/usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/lib/sendmail
/usr/lib64/sendmail.postfix
/usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.gz

these two...
/usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/lib/sendmail

are symbolic links, so would I be right in guessing that Plesk Panel has shutdown the Sendmail binary and created sendmail.postfix as replacements?

Plesk (both 11.5 and 12.0, as well as several previous versions) supports only Postfix and QMail as SMTP servers. Sendmail server is not supported. Hence sendmail binary is provided by either Postfix or QMail in the end.

Are you able to send mail via sendmail? Anything abnormal in /var/log/maillog?

Thanks for your reply Nikolay.

When I was using 11.5 I had a service running that by default used the sendmail binary to send me log notifications and it was working fine pre-upgrade.
The mail was being sent to an off-server email address without any problems. Immediately I upgraded I noticed the notifications stopped.

I have now set the configuration of the service to use SMTP and the notifications are flowing again.

I have to admit there are a few files not where I expect then to be - for example I can't find the mod_security configuration file - I had this installed pre-upgrade and uninstalled it before upgrade as per instructions - I felt managing mod_security via plesk would be easier but it seems that the Plesk version has it's config, log, and rules files in different places that I haven't been able to track down yet.

Regarding mod_security - you still need to install it via Installer after upgrade to be able to use it. Layout on file system would probably differ from what you've been using since everybody configures mod_security the way they want and there's no consensus.

Regarding sendmail binary - I suggest you to manually check if you're able to send mail through it. You still might have a problem that needs to be addressed (e.g. Panel notifications are sent through it, if I'm not mistaken).

Thanks for the reply Nikolay

I sorted out mod_security, but this sendmail issue is driving me crazy. Everything worked perfectly before the upgrade.

I used this command logged in as root and sent to an external address - the email arrived

printf "Subject: Put a subject here" | sendmail -vf [email protected] [email protected]

So now I am back to why the error messages ..."plesk sendmail waitpid failed No child processes"...immediately after the upgrade.

When I examined the delivery status report for the above test it showed me this....

Reporting-MTA: dns; myservername
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: D6CCA22D7E
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
Arrival-Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:59:56 +0100 (BST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
Action: relayed
Remote-MTA: dns; mail-in.xyzxyzxyz.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 250 2.0.0 Gazw1o01m0x8PmS01azxWm mail accepted for
delivery

So I'm guessing Postfix did the work here.

I tried another method by creating a simple text file with the message headers and body and used the command
sendmail -vt < ./mail.txt

but once again it seems that Postfix does the work as there's no mention of sendmail anywhere in the status report

hI TO ALL, we have the same problem the sendmail doesn't work after upgrade to plesk 12
[root@emoserver4 ~]# service sendmail status
[root@emoserver4 ~]# /sbin/sendmail status
-bash: /sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory
[root@emoserver4 ~]# /sbin/service sendmail status
[root@emoserver4 ~]# printf "Subject: PRUEBA SENDMAIL" | sendmail -vf [email protected] [email protected]
Mail Delivery Status Report will be mailed to <[email protected]>.

There is a solution for this?
Thanks a lot

Back