• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade Debian 6 to 7 - Plesk completely Broken

Evilmachine

Basic Pleskian
Hi Guys,

i upgraded Debian 6 to 7 today and Plesk ist now complete broken.

Postfix gives and 5.7.1 no relay access warning
Switching to gmail is not working beacuase drweb-libs could not be installed (depends on libc6 (is installed but newer than asked).

Plesk Login gives this Warning

Unable to execute php_handlers_control: [Warning] removing handler `5.3.27' (module) due to errors in getting php version : can not get version from /usr/bin/php5-cgi
[Warning] removing handler `5.3.27' (cgi) due to errors in getting php version : can not get version from /usr/bin/php5-cgi
Segmentation fault

And some other issues.

please i need help to fix this mess.

Very bad idea - upgrade OS on Plesk server. Contact Support Team.

Thats all??

As of Debien 6 reaches its end of life in February this is not a bad idea its necessary.

What about reinstalling Plesk with keeping the Configuration etc??

Thats all??

As of Debien 6 reaches its end of life in February this is not a bad idea its necessary.

What about reinstalling Plesk with keeping the Configuration etc??

I just hope that was a test server and not a production server.

The proper procedure to upgrade an OS on ANY server is to make a full backup, upgrade server and then restore data/config. not to upgrade "on the fly"

I would even go further and get a new server, install everything, transfer plesk (via transfer wizard or backup/restore), make sure everything works and then take down the old server.

But upgrading a OS on a live machine with running services is, like IgorG said, a bad idea.

Well if the Server is located at a data center and you are dealing with 1,5 TB of data thats not that easy ;)

But yes it was a test system. But i still want to fix it.

Well, what is the prefered way to do so?
As Squeeze reaches end of life, I think many users need to update their machines to Wheezy within the next month. Is there a howto or KB article provided by Paralells for this?

As I and Sven L. posted above suggested way is to transfer data from old Plesk installation to a new installation on new OS version.

You mean on a new machine? Do you think that this is really an option for users with dedicated servers running? :)
With Confixx we often did a Linux dist-upgrade without major problems. Don't you think this should be possible with Plesk, too?

Thanks!

You mean on a new machine? Do you think that this is really an option for users with dedicated servers running? :)
With Confixx we often did a Linux dist-upgrade without major problems. Don't you think this should be possible with Plesk, too?

Thanks!

I don't know what plesk FAQ sais about this, but the proper procedure if you only have one server imo is:

- backup everything from old plesk
- format, install new OS and new plesk
- restore plesk data/config

the thing is: I'd rather get a new server at my datacentre (and pay for both during 1 month) and transfer everything, because that means I'll have new hardware too, which will have less chances of failing.

even now that most my stuff is on cloudVMs I'd rather get a new server and transfer, this way I still have the old one availabe during a time, just in case.

I don't know what plesk FAQ sais about this, but the proper procedure if you only have one server imo is:

- backup everything from old plesk
- format, install new OS and new plesk
- restore plesk data/config
Yes, it is proper way.

Yes, it is proper way.

Well the main problem here is that PHP was upgraded from 5.3.27 to 5.4.4.

i did this on another Server today and got the same exception.

So how do i delete the default 5.3.27 Handler and replace it with a new default 5.4.4 handler??

I think that will fix some issues.

And for the Update way.

Not every customer has two Servers at hand and cannot copy all data to another server do the update and copy everything back.

Its a pity that such a strong used application like plesk is not able to handle necessary distribution Updates.

So how do i delete the default 5.3.27 Handler and replace it with a new default 5.4.4 handler??

I think that will fix some issues.

No, it won't. You won't be able to remove default handler.

Most likely your old PHP configuration is not compatible with the new PHP version. There's been quite a few threads about this on the forum. Please use forum search.

No, it won't. You won't be able to remove default handler.

Most likely your old PHP configuration is not compatible with the new PHP version. There's been quite a few threads about this on the forum. Please use forum search.

Of course is plesk compatible to php 5.4.

I have one installation running on 5.4

Of course is plesk compatible to php 5.4.

I have one installation running on 5.4

plesk is also compatible with debian 7, yet you should not upgrade from 6 to 7 with a plesk running.

seriously guys... please THINK

it's not the same having a clean new OS and plesk than upgrading something old, with old config files which will probably not work anymore.
just like it happens with the PHP config files.

if plesk states it's compatible with debian 7 or php 5.4 it does NOT automatically mean you can just upgrade from an old version to a new one. it's not that simple.

But it should.

If you ran a Desktop Ubuntu you can upgrade too to the latest version.

Everything works except Plesk after the upgrade.

And Parallels cannot force every user to provide a whole new System.

Back