• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Upgrade from MySQL 5.5.56 to 5.6 (or later)

Dene Wilby

Basic Pleskian
HI all

OK, i've searched the website for the instructions for this here:

How to upgrade MySQL 5.5 to 5.6/5.7 or MariaDB 5.5 to 10.0/10.1/10.2 on Linux

But before I proceed to do that I need some assurance.

I need at least 5.6 to install Magento 2 but I have 39 databases running 5.5.56 on this server which I don't want to disturb. Is there any danger to those existing databases in making this upgrade?

I'm scared that something could go wrong and I end up having days of work rectifying it.

My system details are:

CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2683 v3 @ 2.00GHz (2 core(s))
Version Plesk Onyx v17.5.3_build1705170317.16 os_CentOS 7
OS CentOS Linux 7.3.1611 (Core)

Please could someone send me the absolute definitive link of instructions for carrying out this upgrade?

Thanks so much

Dene

I am afraid that there is no ""definitive link" for the task. The article is o.k. and should work for you. But there is always a risk. If you do not want to take the risk, install a new server, install the latest MySQL version on it or MariaDB 10.1, then use Migrator to migrate the existing websites to the new server and shut down the old one.

Thank you Peter

So if I was to go ahead with this using the link above I would follow the instructions for CentOS7?

What is CloudLinux? I have a Cloud hosting package with 1&1 but i'm assuming these are different things and I should follow the CentOS7 instructions?

Dene

CloudLinux is a OS, if you are running CentOS7 follow the CentOS7 instructions.
I would recommend you to perform a full backup or snapshot before you do this steps!

Thanks both for your advice. I've taken Peter's advice and i'm going to do this on a new server. I just can't do with the headaches that this could cause.

I'm more than confident having a play around on an empty server.

Thanks

Dene

I have done many mysql upgrades and normally there will not be any issues. Only thing you need to make sure is you have proper mysql dumps for all your databases including PSA for sure. Upgrades are Ok but downgrades may cause issues and not suggested.

Since you have planned to go with separate new server, which is the safest way (but time taking), let us know if you need any help further.

Back