• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade PHP

DaveKay

Regular Pleskian
I have searched endlessly for a walk-through on how to upgrade the version of PHP packaged with PP 11.5.30.

OS is Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

At present, the installed version of php is 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.17.

I'm not looking to upgrade PP to 12 yet, as I want to let any initial upgrade issues settle down...

I would like to upgrade this to 5.3.10 as many website CMS's are now requiring this newer version.

Does anyone know of a good walk-through for achieving this? I'm not really looking to have multiple versions of php running on this particular server, just to upgrade the installed version.

Any help is much appreciated!

Sorry IgorG, but are you sure, that the php-panda library works with Debian/Ubuntu?

Here is my suggestion, if you would like to upgrade your PHP - version in Ubuntu ( in this case to PHP 5.5 )

First, please make a backup of your php.ini 's to be sure, that possible changes could be modified by you afterwards, especially the custom domain ones at "/var/www/vhosts/system/<domain>/etc/php.ini".You may locate all php.ini 's with the command: locate php.ini. The main php.ini 's are located at "/etc/php5/" and "/usr/share/php5/"

The PHP-upgrade itself can be started with the following commands in your terminal:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php5
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
( if the command "add-apt-repository" is missing or result in failure messages, please add the python extensions with: sudo apt-get install python-software-properties )

You could be asked during the upgrade, if you would like to choose some new php.ini 's or if you would like to hold the old ones. I would recommend to choose the new ones and change the standards after you investigated, if a change is really necessary, because the standards are pretty well configured.​

Please check after the upgrade, that the handler lists the new PHP version correctly:
/usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --list
and please check the several php.ini 's for changes and modify them if needed.

Be as well sure, that the upgrade didn't remove any needed Plesk extensions, or reinstall them after your upgrade. To make sure, that all extensions are available, please check:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --show-components
if you see some missing components, reinstall them with the command:
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component component-name

or choose the view over the webinstaller at:
https://YOURSERVERDOMAIN.COM:8443/admin/update/add-components/ ( and pls. don't forget to expand the subfolders )

This work-around works with Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 14.04 and all Plesk extensions work well together with PHP 5.5.

If you experience problems/issues or failures, don't get nervous, because all these upgrades can be reversed at any time and the Plesk standards can be restored very quickly. Just open another thread and ask for a work-around to reverse the PHP-upgrade, if you don't already found a suggestion here with the Forum search.

I tried, the above method, it break my Apache installation and /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-all giving errors.

Sorry John_A, but without any error - logs or failure notices, it is nearly impossible to suggest something, that might solve problems/issues.

Back