• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Upgrading PHP version on Plesk does not affect my Wordpress

omartinez

New Pleskian
I have a wordpress which is alerting:

Your site is using a PHP version (5.4.39-0+deb7u2) that will no longer be supported by Wordfence in an upcoming release and needs to be updated. We recommend using the newest version of PHP available but will currently support PHP versions as old as 5.5.0. Version checks are run regularly, so if you have successfully updated, you can dismiss this notice or check that the update has taken effect later

I went to my Plesk panel and updated PHP version from 5.4.39 to 5.5.38

However, when I come again to my wordpress, the Warning is still up

That's a very meagre "update" going from one ancient PHP to another ancient one.
You are aware that everything below PHP 7.2 is currently outdated?

I am running a few sites on PHP 5.6, 4 but I have given notice beginning this year to my clients that support will stop at the end of this year.
If they have not upgraded their site, I will upgrade to PHP 7.4.x anyhow and their sites will not be working.
New Plesk servers do not have PHP 5.x and this is already several years.

As such, I have no experience running ancient PHP and can't help you.

My recommendation is to leave it as is or upgrade your WordPress to the latest version and PHP to 7.4.x
Current WordPress versions need to run on PHP 7.x

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @mr-wolf

Yes, I know that the version I am currently upgrading to is also outdated. However the issue I am refering to is that it does not matter what version do I select on Plesk panel, Wordpress will not reflect the changes and the warning will not disappear.

Edit: I have also tried to upgrade to +7.0 php version, and the warning is being showed yet

Last edited:
Did you double check that the PHP version you upgraded to is actually used for you domain?

If you navigate to your domain in Plesk and open PHP settings and click on the link "View the phpinfo() page" what version is displayed on to op the page?

Hello @Rasp, I tried to see phpinfo() page and i got this error

Error: Unable to retrieve information about the PHP configuration.

Never mind, I created a .php file with phpinfo() function inside and visited the website, The website shows
PHP Version 7.1.5
But wordpress still showing:
Your site is using a PHP version (5.4.39-0+deb7u2) that will no longer be supported by Wordfence in an upcoming release and needs to be updated. We recommend using the newest version of PHP available but will currently support PHP versions as old as 5.5.0. Version checks are run regularly, so if you have successfully updated, you can dismiss this notice or check that the update has taken effect later.

Last edited:
Have you issued a "plesk repair web <domain>" ?
Also try to select "FPM application served by nginx"

But wordpress still showing:

You did notice this part?
Version checks are run regularly, so if you have successfully updated, you can dismiss this notice or check that the update has taken effect later.

Is your wordpress as ancient as your php, or do you have the Site health tool in the dashboard? If you run that, it should reprocess that check and show the current php version.

Back