• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Upgrading question

Dene Wilby

Basic Pleskian
Hi

I want to upgrade to Obsidian from Onyx and just want to know how safe it is to just click the Install Now button and follow the process.

I'm also a little behind on package updates. Should I do those first and same question, is is just safe to click Update All?

System info screengrab attached.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way as i've never done a major update like this.

Dene

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 8
Without any warranty, because the udpates are so complex that noone will be able to guarantee anything on it:

Update of system packages: These will probably go from CentOS 7.6 to CentOS 7.9, leaving several versions in between out. It will probably work. However, I think I remember that from 7.6 to 7.7 in some cases you also need a Kernal update. So it might be necessary to log in with SSH and rum yum upgrade then reboot your machine for all the changes to take effect, because some updated libs might not work with an old Kernel version perfectly.

Do the upgrade form Onyx to Obisidian only after you have complete the system package updates. During the upgrade routine, a pre-upgrade check will be done. If it displays warnings, resolve all points listed in the warnings before you continue with the upgrade. If you have made modifications to the Nginx configuration files, check if these were overwritten by the upgrades.

Personally if I was you, I'd ask Plesk Professional Services to do the upgrade. It's around 150 $, but it saves a lot of worrries about the Plesk upgrade. They are really good at what they do, and if errors come up like duplicate libs etc. that are not so easy to resolve for a user, they'll solve this. They don't do the system upgrade I think, but at least the Plesk upgrade.

Thank you Peter.

Hmmm, not the answer I was hoping for ;-)

I might update the packages and leave the Obsidian update for a later time as everything is working fine. I was mainly wanting to do it to get PHP 7.4 support. Is that something I can add simply in Onyx?

PHP 8 will be ready soon, too. The better solution is to upgrade to Obsidian. It also has some nice new features and enhancements. Maybe you can do the pre-upgrade check standalone to gain more confidence?

Hi again Peter.

I updated all the packages and all seems to be just fine, everything working OK.

The only notification I get on the pre-installation check is:

Plesk pre-upgrade check
WARNING: There are custom web server configuration templates at /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom. These custom templates might be incompatible with a new Plesk version, and this might lead to failure to generate web server configuration files. Remove the directory to get rid of this warning. Please check Apache config file cannot be generated: Wrong variable to subsitute for details.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Dene

I decided to bite the bullet and just go for it. Upgraded without a hitch. Looks cool and also now with PHP 8 installed.

Time to go have a play around.

Thanks again Peter for the hand holding on this ;-)

Back