• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved upgrading ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 went wrong

Pedro Lopes

New Pleskian
Hello all,

We are using plesk 17 ( stable ), before making the upgrade of the OS from 14.04 to 16.04 ( do-release-upgrade ) i made a backup of the website we are hosting. There were 19 broken packages, the upgrade was made with errors. Now the system doesn't boot.

For a clean install i will need to recover the backup. I have a ssh session to the mounted installation. The backup of the site was around 215MB. I cannot seem to find nor the name of the backed up site nor a file with that size.

Can you please give me instructions on how to extract the backup from the dead installation to restore after complete reinstall of server?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you IgorG for the links.
All the 19 broken packages we had during the upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 are related to plesk installed software. Is shutting down the services enough to avoid this in the future or is there a special procedure?

Thank you very much,

I am a volunteer for a non-profit organization www.nalanada-monastery.eu and as so i will try to solve the issue without making it further expensive for the institution.

I backed up everything adapting a little bit to our situation the info from the links; Installed UBUNTU Server 16.04; followed the instructions to customize plesk and then i was able to restore the databases.

Thanks for the help. All is well now, i develop in .net core C# and let me tell you that plesk application is very well done at all levels, installation, configuration, nice user experience, congratulations and keep up the nice work!!!
Is support for .net core framework ( works fine on Linux with apache and nginx ) planned for your future releases?

Thanks again @IgorG for your most valuable valuable help.

Back