• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

URGENT HELP!! Upgrade to PHP 5.3 on Plesk 8.6. MySQL old authentication errors.

B

buddychrist

Hello.

I am trying to upgrade PHP to 5.3 version. Everything is ok except i get errors with mysql authentication:

Cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using old authentication

I know it is related to the way PLESK stores database passwords on a table with char(16). I have altered the table to varchar(41) and used "Set old_passwords=0;" followed by "Update db_user set passwd=PASSWORD('desiredpassword') where login='targetuser';" to update passwords schema.

I also modified "my.ini" files disabling "old_passwords" tag and restarted MySQL and Web Services.

No way. Despite all efforts i am still getting MySQL 4.1+ using old authentication errors and plesk keep storing passwords with old schema.

Please. I want to use PHP 5.3 cause seriously improves PHP performance on Windows but get stack at this point.

Anybody could help me?
Thanks a lot!!
Ivan

Finally solved via mysql command line client:

mysql -P3306 -uadmin -P<password>

use mysql;

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'old_passwords';

SET old_passwords=0;

You can check which routine will be used by taking a look at the mysql.users table (with an account that has access to that table)

SELECT `User`, `Host`, Length(`Password`) FROM mysql.user;

This will return 16 for accounts with old passwords and 41 for accounts with new passwords (and 0 for accounts with no password at all, you might want to take care of those as well).

To update a user's password:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'user'@'%'=PASSWORD('password');
FLUSH Privileges;

No more PHP 5.3 mysql auth problems.

Back