• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Use symbolic links as Document root

savedario

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I have 8 domains using the same application that takes care of the branding internally. They are all within the same company and there's no issue of isolting one account/site from the others.
E.g. foo.de, sub.foo.de, foo.at, bar.de etc..
My first approach was to create a different account/subscription for each top-level domain, but I am unsure Plesk would allow cross-account symbolic links because...
I am currently adding all domains under the same account/subscription and set the DocumentRoot to be the application root directory because when I tried to use symbolic links, I could not manage to tell Plesk to follow them.

This setup would work, but administration tasks becomes cumbersome because of all the webspaces listed in one page also because a few of the sites have a few subdomains (test environment etc...)

So, my question is:
- Is there a way to setup Plesk so that I can have one deployed application per environment (production, test/staging, development), maybe in a separate directory altogether ?
- Failing that, can I at least configure Plesk to accept that a DocumentRoot is a symbolic link ?

P.S.: my own development environment has a similar setup, so I know how to do it with Apache.

You cannot use cross-account symbolic links, because the directory owner must be the one of the requesting account.

You can however use symbolic links within the same account.

Yes, I discovered that much. After some more attempts, I figured how to do it.
One needs to create all 'sites' as domains (within the same account).
This way DocumentRoot can be a Symbolic Link pointing somewhere else (within the same account / user home directory).
I was trying to keep the whole account somewhat more organized by creating domains like test.example.com as a subdomain of example.com, which did not work for my needs.

Back