• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question using a subdomain to point to another service

mudassar

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
windows server 2019
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.44 Update #3
I have a dedicated server with plesk that holds all of my multiple domains etc. I have one domain setup and running with a website. Domain.co.uk. I had to purchase a service through another provider for next cloud (i couldnt get it to work with windows). I want to use subd.domain.co.uk to take me to that service.
I linked my domain to the other service via a txt record successfully. I then set up an A record to point the subdomain to the IP address of that service. This failed. They said i had to use their name servers.

I then tried to set it as a slave dns, which only gave me the option to change the nameservers of that subdomain. I then tried this, it still did not work.
They are saying the MAIN domain has to point to their nameservers.

How do I work around this?

I don't want my domain.co.uk to point anywhere else, obviously all of the site is hosted locally on my server.

How do I work around this?
You probably don't. If your NextCloud provider says you need to point the nameservers of the domain to theirs in order the use their NextCloud service, than there is probably no way around it.

However, perhaps they offer a way to mange the dns of your domain. Which would allow simply point any records back to your own server. (If that makes any sense).

Come to think of it, you might be able to get things to work if you add NS records for your subdomain to your DNS and point those to the nameservers of your NextCloud provider. There is no guarantee this will work, it depends on their (DNS) setup. This also will only work if you've setup your nextcloud to work on a subdomain.

The nextcloud service is hosted with ionos, so I have full control of the dns records on that end too.
On their end I can ONLY set up nextcloud on a subdomain for some reason too.

I contacted them because even trying the official way (tried another domain, using their NS for full domain) it didn't work. So they said it may be a bug.
Once that is resolved I will try again.

Back