• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper - what does it do?

DanCermak

New Pleskian
Hi everyone,

I am running a server under CentOS7 with Plesk 12.5. It is used also as a mailserver with Postfix as the MTA, however it was created by migrating from a very old Ubuntu based server (also with plesk) but running Qmail.
Anyway, my question is, what is exactly the postfix-sendmail-wrapper doing, which is set by Plesk as the MTA via /etc/alternatives?

For further context: I am having issues with the local delivery of emails to unix user accounts (see https://talk.plesk.com/threads/postfix-local-delivery-issue.321255/) and my guess is that the sendmail wrapper is doing something wrongly. Is using the postfix-sendmail-wrapper the canonical way of doing things with plesk? Or went something wrong in the migration (would be my guess, since the version number in the path is << 12)? Are there any config files for this executable? I tried running it with strace, but couldn't find any.

Thanks for your input,
Dan

It is an executable and not a script:
file /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper
/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/postfix-sendmail-wrapper: setuid ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=a75e8df93907c15d2653d6863ae5282e3396f04d, stripped

Plesk sw-engine runs under psa user which does not have root privileges for security reasons. sw-engine calls a wrapper that has an suid bit set. That wrapper escalates permissions to root so that further processing of commands can be done on root level.

I think the issue is rather that "root" is a reserved address and should not be used by services other than OS or Plesk owned. Local mail delivery is absolutely no problem. If a domain is configured on the system, Plesk will automatically deliver mails locally. But it might not work correctly if reserved system recipients are used.

Well I am only using the address for root from OS daemons and it is not working, I do need or want it to be accessible from the outside. My issue with the postfix-sendmail-wrapper is, that it is _not_ delivering messages to root properly. But I cannot really experiment allot with the postfix supplied sendmail alternative, since the mailserver is live and I do not want a lot of down time. I basically would like to know if I can use sendmail.postfix instead of postfix-sendmail-wrapper (and ideally which one is the canonical way of doing things), since sendmail.postfix is properly delivering messages to root.

Using sendmail.postfix as a drop-in replacement for postfix-sendmail-wrapper? No, that probably will not work. sw-engine should not be able to start that directly as it is missing the proper permissions, that's why it is using the wrapper which escalates permissions.

Well, it is really not that hard to set the setuid bit in sendmail.postfix, so I do not really see the point of this executable.
Do you know if there is any documentation about how Plesk sets the MTA up?

Back