• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Versions 17.0.17, 17.5.3, and 17.8 ?

G J Piper

Regular Pleskian
With today's update(s) I find myself at a loss to explain why all the new versions of Plesk.
  1. Is this new 17.8 version yet another independent version or is it an update to 17.5.3?
  2. Which one(s) of these will have a stable version, eventually — only 17.0.17 and 17.8, or will there be many stable versions like 17.0.17, 17.5.x, and 17.8.x now?
  3. Will all of these new versions be getting micro-updates?
Thanks for the help understanding... I don't want to go through the hassle of updating to each "next release" if I should just wait for a later one.

Just wrote a big one on this - but would have come across as quite rude - so I deleted it ... so lets try again...

PLESK PEOPLE

don't mix pre-versions (alpha- , beta-, whatever stage) with what is STABLE !!

Yes, there is people that do want those and help you testing, but there is the other - the vast majority - and a good chunk fairly new at the game - that get rather confused at all the different versions, all in one changelog.

Seriously, if you don't want to keep 17.0 and 17.5 apart, one thing. But for the sake of the not-so-much-in-the-knowledge, keep pre-stable versions out of it !!!

My two cents...
Tom

[not saying you don't get it, G J Piper , but I'am helping 3 folks getting a footing into the line of business and they're just scratching their heads in confusion ...]

Last edited:
I fully agree, right now, it can be very confusing to users, what Plesk Onyx means. are 17.0, 17.5 and 17.8 completely different versions? I would say yes.
So at least, it should be made very clear already on the product page:
a) which features / statements refer to which version
b) clearly separate the ChangeLogs for all three Onyx versions
c) clearly state already on the product page (not in a rather hidden support article) which Plesk version we can currently consider as stable, i.e., explain the release tiers and state which version is at which level AS OF TODAY.

P.S.: I would have added this comment also to one of the pages Plesk Release Tiers Plesk Release Tiers but it seems that comments are (on purpose?) closed for these pages.

what Plesk Onyx means. are 17.0, 17.5 and 17.8 completely different versions?
b) clearly separate the ChangeLogs for all three Onyx versions

These are minor releases within Plesk Onyx, which is a major version:
  • Plesk Onyx 17.0 was released in November 2016 and became stable on March 15, 2017.
  • Plesk Onyx 17.5 was released on March 23, 2017 and became stable on July 3, 2017.
  • Plesk Onyx 17.8 was released on March 6, 2018 and will be announced as stable in 2-3 weeks.
Changes in all minor releases of Plesk Onyx are published in a single change log.

Back