• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

We had a problem when we upgraded from 10.4 to 11

MarnieN

New Pleskian
I am not sure if this has been documented somewhere, or if this was some kind of fluke that not everyone will run into, but I thought I would post it here so it can be found if others have a similar problem and are as stumped as we were.

We upgraded from plesk 10.4 to 11 a while back and it seemed to be without issue. Then a few weeks after the upgrade we started having login issues with our CMS software (it is a custom software that is old and not written to best practices but it is what this company still uses). Anyway we had people that weren't able to login, they cleared their cookies and tried again and were able to login. Then it started to get worse, they would have to clear them 3-4 times before they were able to login, we would get a redirect error if they tried to save their login info, and this was happening across all computers, all browsers and with all settings messed with.

At first we were told it was probably a problem from upgrading our php and sql versions, but I disagreed because we had tested the software on this server with no problem, and we had configured the php.ini to be very close to the same. We had also run our websites and systems with no problems for 3 months without issue until now.

We tested the code, and the way sessions were being handled, and the way cookies were working and we were able to get cookies working, but they weren't clearing properly. I found this link: http://forum.parallels.com/pda/index.php/t-261217.html which ended up being our problem as well. Although I didn't notice the high load problem until after we had the login problem.

It turned out that our code creates many sessions and they weren't being cleared out because of the problem execdir running out of space, I don't know if this was a problem all along or if it really did come as a problem with the upgrade from 10.4 to 11, but either way the space restriction there caused out session temp file to fill up to the point that trying to clear it out manually actually would overload the server causing errors.

We ended up renaming the session folder to clear it out (reset it) and start over and then re-wrote the cron job plesk-php-cleanuper to not use the execdir. Now it is working properly and we have no more login issues.

I am not sure if this thread will be pointless to others, but I know that we struggled with finding an issue for more than three weeks until I finally came upon that other thread and was able to connect it to our issue, so if it helps someone else then I guess it is worth it!

Just be very careful when editing Plesk's files, you might end up with your customizations wiped out after an upgrade. I'd rather install a separate cron job for this.

Back