• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

We MUST end the bounces!!!

mparadis

Regular Pleskian
My god, is there nothing at all being done by ISP's to slow down all this bouncing nonsense??? I'd say most of my resources are being used by SPAMMERS trying to get in and/or bouncing messages back to me.

There MUST be something that can be done??? I've read everything I could find, for two years now and have yet to find any solution to this nonsense.

I think, and I'm sure this has been suggested over and over again, that one VERY SIMPLE fix would be that when there is an SMTP connection, if the user exists, fine, accept the email but if it does not, just block the port, say No, tell the connection to screw off... nada, no way, go away.

Why is it not as simple as that??? Instead, my server is bouncing TONS of email, day in, day out because it's allowing incoming connections to accounts that we simply DO NOT HAVE!

My god, can't we all stand together on this and get something done???

Mike

Originally posted by NightStorm
Yeah, and i breaks mailman if you enable it.
sorry I don't use mailman so not aware of it. Any idea why is it not working? I know it doesn't accept qmail extensions (user-something@domain) addresses. Reason I'm asking is, I wrote a new plugin to reject non existent users which works with extensions.
So, wondering if I can fix mailman problems also (who knows I amy need mailman in future)

When qmail goes to check if the address exists, it only checks mailboxes that are in it's standard setup... it does not check mailman boxes (which are simply xtensions of qmail anyway).
So if you want to use the reject, you can not use mailman on the same domain.
Not the best planning... take mailman and endless bounce messages from spammers, or take no mailman but less qmail load.

seems the same problem I had. I also need extensions to use TMDA. So, I ended up writing my own plugin. So ,far its working fine. If you like you may download the source from here

Hi,
how can i activate this, where is this button?

Thanks
Michael

Originally posted by DigitalCrowd
rtwick,

Does 7.5.1 work w/ TMDA w/o your plugin? Does it allow [email protected]? Hopefully not.

No plesk 7.5.1 still doesn't work with TMDA. The same problems that were with 7.5 are present except they added check for mailman lists.
So, if you want TMDA t o work with non existent use reject feature, you have to write your own plugin and replace it with plesk's chkrcptto plugin.

Great idea - that should work. Write your own plugin that performs like chkrcptto is expected to BUT also provide a configuration file that does TMDA. OR More importantly to me would be to reject emails based on:
1. HELO bad or nonexistant
2. FROM - invalid domain
3. FROM - invalid email address

Or even better yet - reject every email the first time. Add it to a list. When they send it in the second time - it's ok.

I would pay for these right now.

darnit. I should have looked closer before jumping. It looks like plugins are called based on the smtp conversation. chkrcptto is only called after the SMTP step "RCPT TO:" is received.

This means verification of any other command and correct refusal based on "MAIL FROM:" would not work.

So we need plesk to allow us to store routine names and commands that are allowed to be called at the server level.

Otherwise control/smtpplugins will be wiped out when anyone tweaks the "reject" setting. There may also be qmail libraries which plesk/swsoft has tweaked which we need to be aware of to write these routines.

:(

Originally posted by sparky21
Great idea - that should work. Write your own plugin that performs like chkrcptto is expected to BUT also provide a configuration file that does TMDA. OR More importantly to me would be to reject emails based on:
1. HELO bad or nonexistant
2. FROM - invalid domain
3. FROM - invalid email address

Or even better yet - reject every email the first time. Add it to a list. When they send it in the second time - it's ok.

I would pay for these right now.

I believe there are already plugins for 1 and 2 above at the qmail-spp web site.

3 can be achieved by using TMDA which makes sure incoming mail is from a valid user who really wants to communicate with you.

By "rejecting every email the first time " do you mean a soft reject or a permanent reject? If it is a soft reject, then there is greylisting available at the same site.

of course any modification you do to the /var/qmail/control/smtpplugins file will be overwritten by plesk whenever you update psa-qmail rpm. You need to keep a copy of that file saved before any upgrade and replace it after upgrade.

HTH
R'twick

The problem I had with the reject feature is that I am using scripts to provide domain aliasing, and there was no way to reject mail to addresses at these domains.

I wrote a patch to checkrcpt-0.3 which does this by consulting the virtualdomains file. I've attached it to this post in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Back