• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Webmail via IP address

DennyP

Basic Pleskian
Rather than accessing webmail via http://webmail.mydomain.com, is there a way to access it via the IP address?

I am going to be switching to a new server and will be transferring my current domain name to the new server. I will need a way to check for any email that may have come to my old server due to the delays in propagating the DNS changes across all the ISP routers. There could be email sent to my old IP for a while.

In apache configuration, webmail vhost is defined with "ServerAlias webmail.*" so it will be only called by it. Also, webmail uses hostname from URL to define full mailname to log into webmail, so without it login would not be possible (even if 'short mailnames' are allowed).

I appreciate that answer.

Given that information .... when I submit a DNS change to point my domain to a new server (new IP), there will be a period of time when some email to that domain will still go to the old IP while the DNS change propagates. This will result in some email going to my old IP that is now domainless. How can I access the email that goes to that old domain? Or how can I transfer all email from that domain to the server at the new IP so I can access it there?

Hi,

I am sure that there is some sort of webmail on the new location too. You can use fetch mail with the ip address user/pass for the mail from the old location.

There is webmail on the new server (Plesk 8.2) but I cannot connect it to the old location if webmail only works with a domain name and not an IP address.

I don't know what fetch mail is.

Hi,

In the horde you go under Options > Global Options > Remte servers ; YOu can set up the mailserver from here just like a mail client.

Then on the main menubar you have Fetch Mail , You can use that. If you do not have it it can be activated in the Options > Mail > Fetch Mail.

This is pop so it won't have the old directory structure.

Back