What's covered by the "other" catigory in customers disk statistics?

burnleyvic

Regular Pleskian
Does anyone know what things are covered by the "Other" category is a customers disk statistics? I know the database repository falls into this category but in my case customer has no backups but has 776MB of disk usage reported as "other'.

In plesk 9 there was a full statistics report I could run for a domain but I don't believe such a feature exists in plesk 10 now. That said I would love for someone to prove me wrong.

"Other" is disk space occupied by any files located in your webspace except disk space used by websites, mail accounts and databases.

ok finally found the missing "other data in /var/lib/psa/dumps/clients/<clientname> For what ever reason the client has over 700mb of data here but it reports nothing in their backup manager.

Is it safe to delete the contents of /var/lib/psa/dumps/clients/client_name?
It just looks like it's old backups. We back up elsewhere so don't need any other ones

yes in our case it was as they were ancient history. Client was able to make new backups with our issue. We also use separate system to backup all content on the servers, this is more for clients who want to backup before changing their website.

Thanks for that - I removed it all, recalculated the stats and still have 96Mb showing up. Is there any way I can figure out what this other 96Mb is made up of?
Thanks

Parallels were not very forthcoming with what 'other' includes. Apart from Backups I'm unsure what else is included. I'm also assuming you emptied all the sub-folders. If you do find out please update article it would be good to know for future reference.

I completely delete /var/lib/psa/dumps/clients/client_name and all it's sub folders and it hasn't gone down, so unless someone from Parallels replies I don't know what it is. Thanks for your suggestions though

Yes, but but are they,do we need them and can they be removed?

you are referring to the other folders in .../vhosts/<domain>/ other than httpdocs and folders associated with subdomains I take it?

I've tracked it down - out of the 96Mb, 90% of it was log files - mainly error_log. I deleted the logs out of /var/www/vhosts/client_name/statistics/logs and it's down to 10Mb of unidentified files which I can live with.
It's very frustrating as in some cases the log files are taking up more space than the site. How can I prevent the error_log file being written (do I even need it?). I turned off/deleted the logs in Plesk but I'm not sure that it controls the error_log (which I couldn't delete directly in Plesk).

make sure you have configured log rotation in the Logs & Statistics section of the relevant service plan or subscription if its customised. You can set it to rotate logs by size or time to keep disk usage by logs under control. Shutting the logs down for customers is probably more trouble than its worth and will likely be broken each time you upgrade plesk. Just set rotation to keep only one days worth, compressed, and the logs will be small.

Last edited:
hope this is what you wanted;

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk 10.x all versions
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Need breakdown of disk space allocation listed as 'other'.
ACTUAL RESULT
Plesk only reports disk usage for web, email & databases. Customer has no idea what 'other' covers so have no idea what the problem is. Admin then has to crawl around the server to find out what is actually using the disk space.
EXPECTED RESULT
At a minimum it should break down and report disk space by service allocated to logs & backups in addition to web, mail & databases.
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
This is the screen the customer seen when they click the 'statistics' tab in plesk when logged in as a client. The report function in plesk 9 at least allowed admins to get a breakdown if required.
--------------------------------------------------------------

oh and you can adjust what type of logs or switch them off only in php.ini look for error_reporting, log_errors & display_errors though I'd not recommend turning them off If you have an issue with a website script or app this would be the first place to look.

Thank you. I have submitted request to developers. I hope it will be implemented soon.

Any update on this Igor? At the very least 'other' should link to a page/popup with more information explaining what 'other' is. People shouldn't have to Google it to find this forum just to figure it out.

I have a problem generally where "other" space, as reported in statistics, is taking over my server. As and example I have one domain with 10MB of web space, 1.96GB of mail, 8KB database and 9.41GB of "other".

Doing a du for domain files shows 24MB
Doing a du for mail files shows 2.0GB

What are the other 9.41GB of files - where are they - and can I delete them?

Thanks in advance

Check for client scheduled backups. 9 out of 10 times when i see usage like this its because the client has scheduled a regular backup of their site but have not specified how many backups to keep in the archive. The default is unlimited! If anyone at parallels is listening it would be good if the admin could specify a default.

I have seen sites with literally thousands of backups stored on the server, one per day going back years.

Back