• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Whats new in 10.3?

Hello,

Thanks for the interest to Plesk 10.3 preview!
While changelog is being published on parallels.com, I'll put the links here:
- Parallels Plesk Panel 10.3 for Linux
- Parallels Plesk Panel 10.3 for Windows

The changelog is incomplete yet, we'll be updating it when more features including the ones of Customer and Business Manager and Sitebuilder. Surely the current preview build maybe unstable, thus will be updating the preview weekly.

The inline version:

Parallels Plesk Panel 10.3.0

[+] APS 1.2 support. The new APS engine introduces the following major features in apps installation and maintenance:

Subscription administrator can associate auxiliary user accounts with app user accounts if the app provides this capability (concept of services hierarchy is now fully supported).
Panel administrator can configure server-wide settings of an app (global settings support).
An APS package is not necessarily a website app, now it can be an arbitrary set of scripts that maintains services provided by different SaaS vendors.

[+] (Only for Linux) Support for alternative repositories in CentOS. A system running Panel can receive software updates not only from the Parallels Updates server but also from alternative repositories of your liking ("Atomic", "IUS", etc.).

[+] Replacement of Small Business Panel. We discontinued to develop Parallels Small Business Panel (SBP) and recommend to replace it by Parallels Plesk Panel. The migration is performed using Plesk Migration Manager (migration to a remote box) or backup/restoration tools (migration to Plesk on the same box).

[+] File sharing. We ported the file sharing feature from SBP into Panel. Panel administrator now can share files with others.

[+] Video tutorials. Customers are able to learn how to carry out most typical tasks by watching video tutorials available directly from Control Panel.

[+] Improvements to branding themes. We improved the branding settings page with more information about applying custom themes.

[+] Panel view picker at the initialization. During the initial configuration, Panel administrator can easily select the preferable interface view (Power User or Service Provider). The choice can be altered at any time later.

[+] RHEL 6.1 is supported.

[*] Third-party components upgrades:

phpMyAdmin 3.4.1
ProFTPd 1.3.3e
mod_fcgid 2.3.6
MySQL 5.5
[*] Automated reporting of installation and upgrade problems. Panel administrator is able to start automatically sharing installation and upgrade problems with Parallels to ensure proper problem analysis and timely delivery of fixes.

[*] Per-site PHP settings are supported in FastCGI mode.

[*] Keep Apache, PHP, MySQL and PostgreSQL up to date. When you upgrade Panel, Parallels Installer additionally checks for updates of Apache, PHP, MySQL, and PostgreSQL and offers to install the components updates if you wish. The Settings > Updates tool also provides the ability to update the components manually.

[*] (Only for Linux) Parallels Installer self-upgrade. Before Parallels Installer starts the upgrade procedure, it updates itself to the most up to day version to ensure the safest and smoothest upgrade experience.

[*] Installation of MU for PVC template deployments. Micro-updates (MU) are automatically installed during the deployment of a Panel PVC template into a PVC container.

[*] A number of improvements to upgrade stability.

[*] A number of improvements to micro-updates.

[*] Full-server migration. Plesk Migration Manager now is capable of migrating the complete server content including server settings.

[*] Panel administrator can run these command-line utilities to pre-configure some options before performing the initial configuration.

secret_key
admin
ip_manage
license
poweruser
server_pref
sso
For example, these utilities allow provider to apply license key automatically (the license utility) even before their customers sign in to Panel for the first time.

[*] We simplified the conflict resolution page in Migration Manager.

[*] The new Panel behavior prevents situations when a migration or backup process fails due lack of free disk space.

[*] Scheduled backup can include only mail content or only hosting content.

[*] The stability of Panel and Business Manager interaction is improved for a case when Panel attempts to resolve a misconfigured host name of Business Manager.

[-] Security fixes for Customer and Business Manager.

Great new features, now get Dovecot with Sieve in and i'm in big love again with Plesk :)

PHP per site Settings configurable through the Panel?

Thank you Markus

Yes, we consider switching to Dovecot in next versions.

PHP per site Settings configurable through the Panel?

Not yet configurable in the Panel, but expected for the next version. Here is a list of settings planned:
* safe_mode (on/off)
* register_globals (on/off)
* open_basedir (default/off/custom)
* php_debug (no/error&warning/all/default)
* memory per PHP script (default/8/16/32/64Mb)
* size of POST data to accept (default/2/4/8/16Mb)
* upload file size (default/2/4/8/16Mb)
* execution time per script (default/custom)
* input time per script (max_input_time) (default/custom)
Would you add or change anything?

Regards

Great news.. seems you are starting to listen to linux admins..there are some php options i would include also, since using php applications that would normally require safe mode to "off" (ie. Joomla, Typo3) can run with safe mode enabled this way. This would be:

safe_mode_include dir
safe_mode_exec_dir
include_path
session.save_path

For further and advanced configuration also include:

mail.force_extra_parameters
display_errors
log_errors (with option to set a custom logfile)

Third-party components upgrades:
phpMyAdmin 3.4.1
ProFTPd 1.3.3e
mod_fcgid 2.3.6
MySQL 5.5

Great you are keeping them up to date :)

What about Horde 4?
And what do you mean with MySQL 5.5 as a third-party upgrade? No more default OS packages?

I do want to see a checkbox into updates for the administrator, so that he/she could make a automatic update of the plesk-core (base packages) when these are available.

Thank you Markus

Not yet configurable in the Panel, but expected for the next version. Here is a list of settings planned:
* safe_mode (on/off)
* register_globals (on/off)
* open_basedir (default/off/custom)
* php_debug (no/error&warning/all/default)
* memory per PHP script (default/8/16/32/64Mb)
* size of POST data to accept (default/2/4/8/16Mb)
* upload file size (default/2/4/8/16Mb)
* execution time per script (default/custom)
* input time per script (max_input_time) (default/custom)
Would you add or change anything?

Regards

Sounds good, for us the memory, POST and upload file size would need a custom option, most of our configurations are well in excess of those values (Minimum of 64MB for PHP memory limit for example, and our primary web app recommends a memory limit of 512M!).

Dovecot is a replacement for courier-imap isn't it?

Yes Dovecot is a replacement for Courier, a much better IMAP/POP3 Server with things like an index for emails and sieve email filter support (server side) and so on ...

If this is a "wish list" thread, I can think of a hundred ways that 10.2, at least, is *worse* than 8.6; here's a few:

--No more group operations?

--In 8.x, the domain list view includes State, Status, Hosting Type, Name, Creation Date, Subdomains, Domain Aliases, Disk Usage, Traffic and Preview (quick link to the site itself).

In 10.2, the only columns included are Name, Creation Date, Subscription (which unnecessarily also includes the domain name again, wasting space), Subscriber and Control Panel link.

Not only is there a duplication of info and many missing columns of useful info, but why not make this customizable so we can choose which columns to display or not?

In addition, it'd be much handier for me to see the subscription *expiration/renewal* date instead of (or in addition to) the creation date. There's no need to waste space on re-printing the domain name in the Subscription column, and the Subscriber column should have the option to list it alphabetically by last name or company/organization instead of just by the first name.

--In domain Backup Manager and Migration Manager, why doesn't it auto-refresh anymore? You have to manually click the refresh button.

--For that matter, why do Control Panels and the new "Manage your Conatainer" (I think this is the replacement for Virtuozzo) open in new browser windows?

These are just a handful of annoying changes/suggestions I can think of off the top of my head...

Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of cool new stuff/improvements that I love as well, but these negatives really put a buzzkill on the upgrade...

And what do you mean with MySQL 5.5 as a third-party upgrade? No more default OS packages?
For CentOS we maintain some packages to be up2date. For other OSes it takes default OS packages.

Horde 4 isn't yet included.

I do want to see a checkbox into updates for the administrator, so that he/she could make a automatic update of the plesk-core (base packages) when these are available.

Yes, that's the direction in which we want to move towards. At this moment we only show indication of upgrade availability, but don't start upgrade automatically.

BTW, there is a checkbox managing automated microupdates install. If enabled, smaller updates for current version will be deployed automatically - that's a highly recommended option. There are many updates shipped for 10.2 already.

Hello Brainwrap,

If this is a "wish list" thread, I can think of a hundred ways that 10.2, at least, is *worse* than 8.6; here's a few:

Any thread in this section is some sort of a wish list. :) At this thread we'll be interested to know feedback about new Plesk 10.3, but any other feedback is welcome too.

--No more group operations?

Yes. We think that Service Plan is a more powerful tool. From a perspective of 8.6, they can be seen as a Templates automatically synchronizing domains. You change a template and domains will be changed in the same manner. Conflict resolution is provided if the change isn't possible for any reason.

--In 8.x, the domain list view includes State, Status, Hosting Type, Name, Creation Date, Subdomains, Domain Aliases, Disk Usage, Traffic and Preview (quick link to the site itself).

In 10.2, the only columns included are Name, Creation Date, Subscription (which unnecessarily also includes the domain name again, wasting space), Subscriber and Control Panel link.

Agree, there is a lot of room for improvement in the current domains list. We'll work on it. Meanwhile most of usual domain information (State, Status, Hosting Type, Name, Creation Date, Subdomains, Domain Aliases, Disk Usage, Traffic and Preview) is located in the Control Panel.

Not only is there a duplication of info and many missing columns of useful info, but why not make this customizable so we can choose which columns to display or not?

Sounds reasonable. We'll consider that.

In addition, it'd be much handier for me to see the subscription *expiration/renewal* date instead of (or in addition to) the creation date. There's no need to waste space on re-printing the domain name in the Subscription column, and the Subscriber column should have the option to list it alphabetically by last name or company/organization instead of just by the first name.

Good point. Subscription name won't always match the domain name - the one can have several domain names in one subscription, and also Domain Aliases.

--In domain Backup Manager and Migration Manager, why doesn't it auto-refresh anymore? You have to manually click the refresh button.

I have to check it, but normally auto-refresh makes panel operating slower...

--For that matter, why do Control Panels and the new "Manage your Conatainer" (I think this is the replacement for Virtuozzo) open in new browser windows?

Well, many considered that a more convenient option - as this way you can do some operations in Server Administration panel and in a Control Panel simultaneously. Same for "Manage your Container". I personally use it a lot.

Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of cool new stuff/improvements that I love as well, but these negatives really put a buzzkill on the upgrade...

If you can recall more negative stuff, feel free to share here. We are looking for improvements. Sometimes we perhaps can suggest a solution which just wasn't clear enough in new design.

Can you tell the stuff you like maybe? We need to know which pieces are good to get proper frame of reference... :)

Regards

First, thanks for the quick response; it's also heartening to know that you guys are on the job and not just leaving 10.x to stagnate :)

A few other gripes:

--Domain aliases are buried away; in 8.x, from the home screen, it's Domains > Control Panel > Domain Aliases. In 10.x, it's Domains > Control Panel > Websites & Domains > Show Advanced Operations > Domain Aliases.

I'm not even sure what the point of having "Advanced Operations" and, similarly, "Show More Resources" in the Service Plans panels are needed for; why not just list things like domain aliases and web users in with the other fields? I know the idea is to declutter the interface of less-used stuff for users, but this also makes it too easy to completely forget that those options are even there, and requires an extra click every time we need to view that info (how about an "always open" option in the settings, if there isn't one there already?)

--I also don't like the way that Email aliases are handled. In 8.x, I could just click "Show Aliases", they'd all be listed in a nice neat column beneath the master accounts, and I could check off ones to delete. In 10.x, they're listed...but in a confusing comma-separated list, and you have to click a separate tab to edit them. Even then, you can only delete one at a time.

--The Migration Manager in 8.x would x-out/gray-out domains or clients that you'd already migrated over from a particular server; in 10.x it gives no indication of which ones you've already migrated, so you have to jot it down to remember.

--In User Roles, for some reason "Accountant" is always included by default, and there's no way of deleting it even if there's no "Accountant"? For that matter, the whole "User Roles" function is rather confusing--I have contacts migrated over from 8.x who show up as both Mail users, Owners *and* Domain Administrators. I'm guessing a lot of this confusion is connected to the migration system trying to convert the old domains, but it's still confusing for me.

--In the Service Plan options (as well as other hosting editing options), the MB/GB/TB drop-downs seem to change randomly; I've had a few cases where I'm quite certain I set it to 400 MB, for instance, but when I save the setting it shows up as 400 GB. Going back into edit mode and changing this back fixes it, but it's still disturbing and annoying.

--I know that SiteBuilder can be set to zero, but I don't see how to make this completely, totally invisible to the end user in any way (or how to completely uninstall it, for that matter, in a way that makes no reference to it whatsoever).

I have to check it, but normally auto-refresh makes panel operating slower...

OK, this one I figured might have a legitimate reason. Still, an option to turn auto-refresh on/off would be nice, and even then it gives less indication of the status.

In terms of stuff that I *like*, there's quite a bit:

--I like the new security options (the ability to require minimum email password strengths, etc.)

--I do like the fact that changing a Service Plan once automatically updates the settings for all of the domains using it.

--I like the new, expanded Overuse policy options.

--I like the option for the new UNITY Mobile Site service; I haven't used this yet so I have no idea if it's any good or not, but I do like having the option for it.

Again, there's plenty of other stuff I do like, but that's a start :)

How soon for Centos 6 support? You know as we speak tomorrow the packages start hitting the mirrors as it's out now.

Back