• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Which distro for Plesk?

M

marsupillami

Hey there!

I would like to hear some opinions about which distro to choose from. I was thinking about trying CentOS, I´ve already worked with Fedora Core 2, so I´m unsure which of these two to choose. I know Red Hat is also a good one, however I don´t want to pay for the ES and it doesn´t sound too well running a RH9 when there is fedora availiable and with future. So, which one do you think that would be better? CentOS or Fedora? Anybody knows which are trhe major differences between both (in webhosting context)?

Thank you!

Now that A.R.T. is working on CentOS/RHEL4 channels, I would go with CentOS. Scott has a channel for FC2 too though. I just think you'll be able to stay on the 4 platform longer before you have to upgrade again. Maybe 2 - 5 years......

-poke

If you're in no rush I'd wait for CentOS4 support in Plesk 7.5.4 which is due in a few weeks. Otherwise I'd suggest CentOS3 for the reasons poke stated.

Yes, I can wait abou a month, so I´ll wait for the 7.5.4 Plesk version for some time.

Thank You very much for your help ;)

Cranky, are you positive that Plesk 7.5.4 with RHEL4/CentOS4 support will come out within a few weeks? Looks like we've been waiting forever and stucked with the buggy 7.5.3 :rolleyes:

I disagree that 7.5.3's that buggy, but I'll not go into that. :D

Yep, I have it on very good authority that 7.5.4 is due very soon and will support RHEL4 and CentOS4.

That sounds good. Do you think they will support SELinux in 7.5.4?

I have no idea, but at a guess I'd say you will need to disable it before Plesk installer will run.

SELinux while nifty, has a terribly archiac configuration language, that changes constantly. All the other technologies out there that do the same thing got around this with learning mode rule generators, but SELinux hasn't gotten to that point yet. You'll probably only be able to use it in warn mode with PSA.

Ive academically tried putting together some rules for it a few times, but in the end opted for grsec given its learning-mode rule generation capability.

Regarding this discussion I look at redhat to purchase RHEL3/CentOS4 and not sure what should purchase because there is no anything named RHEL4/CentOS4.

Could anyone explain what is difference between RHEL4/CentOS4
and Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (Basic for x86, AMD64 & Intel EM64T, and Intel Itanium)
or it's same distribution? Do I need Red Hat Network Management Service...

At this moment I'm running RH9.0 and psa_7.5.3 on four servers and have to change distribution regarding SW-Soft announced that will discontinue support for RH9.0 sistem.

RHEL3 is just Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES version 3. CentOS3 is a free clone of RHEL3. CentOS4 and RHEL4 are just the newer versions of the above. CentOS works great as a replacement for RHEL if you don't want to pay for it.

Thanks,
What about atomicrocketturtle's · Anti-spam/Anti-virus RPMS for qmail on CentOS...actually this is more important...

Most, if not all, of ART's stuff is tested on Plesk systems so you shouldn't have a problem. I'd guess that RHEL3 and CentOS3 are the most tested rpm's he offers, but in general I don't think you'll find a problem if you pick a supported OS.

For some reason I cant get packages to build in my FC1 environment anymore. I reckon the FC1 people can fall back on the rh9 channel.

I would go with CentOS 4 (RHEL4).
Don't use Fedora, the EOL is terrible!

Back