• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Will changing the Hostname of a server AFTER plesk was installed mess anything up?

Commander

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Windows Server 2022
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.48
I recently created a VPS account at a hosting company. Plex as pre-installed on this server.

But every time I create a new domain from within Plex on this server (that used a private nameserver), I had issues with domains not resolving properly and reliably.

After filing a trouble ticket, the hosting company said that they detected that the server's hostname was incorrect - the original hostname had dashes "-" instead of periods "." in it - the original hostname WAS set to 129-34-35-234.serv.company.net, and they changed it to 129.34.35.234.serv.company.net.

Since I don't see a setting inside Plesk that will allow me to *change* the hostname, I'm assuming the hostname was either manually entered when plesk was first installed on the server, or the installer automatically detected the name during installation.

And when the hosting company corrected the hostname, they did it OUTSIDE of plesk.

So, my question is this...

Is it harmful to change the hostname OUTDSIDE of plesk *AFTER* plesk has been installed? Meaning will every function of Plesk still work properly when the hostname has been changed from outside of plesk?

Back