• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

WordPress Permission Problems Server Wide

Mr Fett

Basic Pleskian
Hi all,

Plesk 12.0.18-1
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1
VM Quad Core, 8GB RAM

We've been seeing odd behaviour with WordPress websites and file/folder permissions on our server and it's been getting worse and worse. Basically, when we try and update some WordPress websites (either the core, the plugins or the themes) we get errors indicating permissions issues.

Plugins
When we try and update plugins, it terminates with an error saying it cannot remove the previous plugin. The plugin is often then unavailable in WordPress, we have to manually delete the plugin folder on the server and reinstall the plugin.

Themes
We cannot delete themes from WordPress (such as the default ones), WordPress goes through the motions but the theme stays. We have to manually delete on the server.

Permissions
Something we don't understand is that some of our Subscriptions have an 'IUSR_subscriptionName' account and some don't (one wasn't created on the server) and others have Application pool group (IWPG_subscriptionName) whether its running in a Dedicated IIS Application Pool or not.

Any help would be hugely appreciated - I happy to schedule a remote access session to our server for Parallels if needed.

Thanks

Bob

P.S. I'm wondering if the problem is related to this on Linux: http://talk.plesk.com/threads/wordpress-plugin-manager.329650/#post-772673

Hi Bob,

Is it possible for you to share access credentials via PM, so that our developers can take a look at your server?

Hi Custer,

I have no problem with doing a remote session but obviously I don't want to give credentials of the server to anyone, we can use a tool like GoToMyPC however?

Let me know when is a good time, I will PM my email address

Bob

Yes Bob, conversations are private. Can you tell me what timezone you're in?

Hi Bob,

Could you please be more specific what plugin/theme you can not update? These examples can help me to reproduce your cases on our test environment.

Hi vlikhtanskiy,
The problem isn't specific to a theme or plugin, some websites we cannot update plugins at all and others we can.
Last night our server updated, crashed all of our websites and this morning we cannot get in to Plesk:

Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required 'auth.php' (include_path='.;C:\php\pear') in Unknown on line 0

Honestly, I'm serious considering going back to just manually managing my web servers and mailservers as its more work trying to keep Plesk up and running.

If you can send me a PM with how to get in touch with you, I'd very much like to schedule remote access for you to look at the server.

Back