• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wordpress Toolkit incompatible with cloudlinux CageFS

Daniel Richards

New Pleskian
When changing a domain to use the cloudlinux PHP LSAPI 7.2 the wordpress toolkit fails.

After the change I can still use the toolkit to connect to the wordpress installation until it is rescanned, at which point it disconnects with simply the error 'syntax error' displayed.
Detaching,and rescanning does not solve theissue.

Returning to PHP-FPM will allow the issue to be rectified, so it seems to be related to PHP LSAPI

Any ideas?

Hi Mark,

This is the answer that I have from cloudlinux, they believe it to be a design issue of the plesk wordpress toolkit causing these problems.
Have you experienced this too?
Here's the workaround suggested by cloudlinux until Plesk fix it.
Code:
find /opt/alt/php72/etc/php.d.all -name '*.ini' -group linksafe -exec cat {} \; >> /opt/alt/php72/link/conf/default.ini

I also need to copy
Code:
mysqli.default_socket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
into the addition configuration directive section of the PHP Settings for each domain.

So far I have found few problems with mod_lsapi and alt-php configuration and fixed them. The WordPress works fine with mod_lsapi now. To fix the issue with wp-tookit plugin I compared PHP 7.2 extensions for native and alt versions and enabled all missing extensions for alt version via LVE Manager interface. That didn't help because Plesk is running plugin outside of CageFS and therefore alt-php does not load selected extensions. To enable extensions to work outside of CageFS I did the following:
find /opt/alt/php72/etc/php.d.all -name '*.ini' -group linksafe -exec cat {} \; >> /opt/alt/php72/link/conf/default.ini
Now /opt/alt/php72/link/conf/default.ini contains all required extensions and wp-toolkit works fine.

So, the issue was not related to mod_lsapi, it was related to missing extensions when alt-php was running outside of CageFS. This looks like a design issue of wp-toolkit because:
1. Why does Plesk try to run its plugin (wp-toolkit) using PHP version chosen for the website instead of using native PHP version?
2. Why does Plesk try to run it outside of CageFS?
It is better to address these questions to Plesk support

Last edited:
Thank you for such a detailed research and explanation of issue. We are investigating this case and I'm going to provide you with an answer as soon as possible.

Hi all, thank you for your patience. We've created a bug EXTWPTOOLK-1668 regarding the metioned problem.

Daniel, my apologies for not replying earlier, I missed your question to me. Yes, we experienced that too. We tentatively decided against using CageFS / PHP Selector / mod_lsapi, as too many moving parts seem to cause issues. That begs the question whether to use CloudLinux at all since we're not using several of its key features. I know that the Plesk resource management isn't as full-featured as CloudLinux's, but we're wondering if it makes sense to use CL now since some of its key benefits seem to have issues with Plesk.

Hi Mark,
The issue only manifests itself when the PHP hander is changed to mod_lsapi. Wordpress Toolkit works fine wth CageFS is PHP-FPM is used, but it means we have to forego some of the benefits of cloudlinux, such as mod_lsapi, PHP Selector, and CRIU.
We haven't encountered any problems with CageFS at all (when not using lsapi) and have had some incidents where CageFS have really helped save the day. So CageFS makes it, for us worth sticking with Cloudlinux, and we've found their support pretty much astonishing in terms of speed and competence so we have no plans to move from Cloudlinux, but remain in hope that Plesk will fix their problems that prevent full compatibility with the the features of Cloudlinux soon.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for your reply! We were just wrestling with the choice of whether to keep CloudLinux since we lose some of the benefits on Plesk. You've helped us realize that it's still a very worthwhile thing to have. You're right, their support is amazing.

Thank you!

Mark

Could we get an update on this issue? Our company is considering a switch from ServerPilot to Plesk + CloudLinux. We're specifically attracted to using Wordpress Toolkit, LSAPI, and CageFS together.

Are these technologies free to work together yet? Is a fix released or in the works?

I have received the following explanation from developers:

I've researched support of WPT on Plesk Obsidian + CloudLinux in the scope of EXTWPTOOLK-4573 and now situation is the following:

• There are no issues with CageFS (probably fixed on Plesk side by PPP-39782)
  • There are some issues with alt-php/lsphp default configuration, but they could be resolved by modifying php.ini configuration. For further processing of that issue, we've added EXTWPTOOLK-4963.
  • There are no issues with MySQL Governor.
In general, there are no issues on WPT side for Plesk Obsidian + CloudLinux, WordPress toolkit works well.
So, I close the bug as "Can't Reproduce".

In general, there are no issues on WPT side for Plesk Obsidian + CloudLinux, WordPress toolkit works well.
So, I close the bug as "Can't Reproduce".

Atm i don't get those Fail Messages. I just get Messages that no Wordpress was found.
Is there some toolkit Log for Providing Error Messages?
Toolkit is still not usable atm.

CloudLinux 7.8 (Alexei Leonov)
Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.27 Update #1

Newly installed WPT
MySQL Governor and CageFS is in use as always and my php Settings all have mysqli, mbstring and json active (as always)

Atm i don't get those Fail Messages. I just get Messages that no Wordpress was found.
Is there some toolkit Log for Providing Error Messages?
Toolkit is still not usable atm.

CloudLinux 7.8 (Alexei Leonov)
Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.27 Update #1

Newly installed WPT
MySQL Governor and CageFS is in use as always and my php Settings all have mysqli, mbstring and json active (as always)

EXTWPTOOLK-1668: Wordpress Toolkit does not detect instances properly on Cloudlinux server with alt PHP
The issue is still there from several months despite the fact that the CloudLinux's technical support has provided to Plesk's staff the guidance on how to solve it.

They say there's still a long way to go (v.5 of WPT):

Back