• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wordpress Update Issues

SamirM

Basic Pleskian
Hi,
Since the last 3 days I have been experiencing issues updating plugins and themes of Wordpress either from the dashboard or from the wordpress toolkit.
The error i get is :
Failed to update the WordPress plugins.
  • Warning: Download failed. "cURL error 28: connect() timed out!"
I am running Plesk Onyx
Version 17.5.3 Update #42, last updated on Mar 3, 2018 , on CentOS 6.9(final) dedicatyed server
Would appreciate any suggestions to fix this issue
Thanks in advance

Samir

1. Which version of php are you using?
2. Does this issue happen on just a specific WordPress site or on everyone on your Plesk server?

Try to disable the firewall and reproduce the error again.

How's the server performing? Curl timing out could be an indication of slow server responses. Does it give you the time?; typically timed out after Xms - where X is a number.

sorry for the late reply, the server is working perfectly fine...and strangely the error does not specify a time.
I ahve another server, with almost the same configuration and there i dont have this issue

1. Which version of php are you using?
2. Does this issue happen on just a specific WordPress site or on everyone on your Plesk server?

Try to disable the firewall and reproduce the error again.
Some of the sites use PHP7.1, whereas the others are using PHP v7.0
2. this is happening across all the WP sites on the server
will try your suggestion of diabling firewall, but i dont think that a permanent solution if it does work

I'm from Brazil and I speak Portuguese.

So why can not you make the effort and use the "translate" feature of the browser? ****!

:p:p:p

It failes to downlaod and install, heres the error,
Error: Warning: Download failed. "cURL error 28: connect() timed out!" No plugins installed. {"err_code":true,"err_message":"No plugins installed."}

Haha ha!

I've forgotten that you can not install plugins ... apparently this is a failure to communicate with wordpress.org, but this plugin can give us a more conclusive answer.

Download the .zip file directly from wordpress.org and try to upload the plugin and activate it in your wordpress panel.

will try your suggestion of diabling firewall, but i dont think that a permanent solution if it does work
This is not a solution!
It's just to check if the problem is in the firewall. Were you able to install plugins with the firewall disabled?

sorry for the late reply, the server is working perfectly fine...and strangely the error does not specify a time.
I ahve another server, with almost the same configuration and there i dont have this issue

Compare the DNS resolvers between the two;

[root@plesk ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf

Exact!
This was the next step I would suggest.
Let's wait for the result of the diagnostic plugin. If the problem is with DNS I recommend testing OpenDNS:

Compare the DNS resolvers between the two;

[root@plesk ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
Both the servers have differnet answers to this query, while the server where theres no issue in updating any WP related plugin/theme has the following output:
# Generated by NetworkManager
search in
nameserver 8.8.8.8

the other server which has issues :
#nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.x
#nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.x
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.x
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.x

which is strange, how do i correct this, or is this supposed to be like this

Simple!!! You can safely copy the data from one server to another.

Edit the file: vim /etc/resolv.conf

Put this on the following server:

nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 8.8.8.8

If the problem continues to occur, it is likely that some script is changing this file. Running an "ls -la /etc/" and checking the last change of the resolv.conf file might be interesting.

Simple!!! You can safely copy the data from one server to another.

Edit the file: vim /etc/resolv.conf

Put this on the following server:

nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 8.8.8.8
i get the following error when i add the data from the otehr server into the resolv.conf file:
"etc/resolv.conf" E212: Can't open file for writing
Any clues to what I am doing wrong, I am logged in as the root user so i have the priviliges to write to the file, infact any file, just that this particular file doesnt allow it to be saved after writing

Back