• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

your migration tool absolutely kills me

Khoi_Nguyen

New Pleskian
when i try to migrate using the admin, it keeps giving me an error that it can't ssh into the source server even though i can with root and password. so i try to used migration tool command line. help menu comes up but when i initiate it says migration tool is not installed. yet it is installed on both servers.

Hi Khoi_Nguyen,

when i try to migrate using the admin

Please note, that migrations can only be done with the root user.

It is very helpfull to include the complete errors from log - files or from your command line, because this makes investigations far easier.

i started a thread about this around the same time, but it hasn't been approved by a moderator yet...
i'm guessing it's the exact same as with me:

- using /opt/psa/bin/migrate
Migration started at: 2015-11-28 23:51:55
Migration Manager is not installed
(using no, or insufficient options, does give me the migrate help)

so, i'm guesing OP is one step less far than i was, because i read the threads telling me to use plesk-migrator, so i did:

[INFO] START: Generate migration list file
[INFO] Checking, if webspaces exist in the target panel
[INFO] Browsing service templates which could be used for migration
[ERROR] Unexpected Plesk API Error: The feature does not supported in Power User mode.

if OP is not using the power user mode, he should be fine following the instructions here:
http://docs.plesk.com/en-US/12.5/migration-guide/migrating-from-plesk-servers.75497/

Hello!

CLI tool /opt/psa/bin/migrate is depricated in Plesk 12.5 and could not be used anymore on clean Plesk installations. New migration tool - Plesk Migrator - should be used instead. Actual migration guide, as you already note, placed here: http://docs.plesk.com/en-US/12.5/migration-guide/introduction.75496/. Unfortunately, Plesk Migrator is unable to move domains from source Plesk, if it works in Power User mode. This limitation will be avoided in future releases. At now I would like to suggest you switch source Plesk into Service Provider mode to perform migration.

when i try to migrate using the admin, it keeps giving me an error that it can't ssh into the source server even though i can with root and password. so i try to used migration tool command line. help menu comes up but when i initiate it says migration tool is not installed. yet it is installed on both servers.

Could you please provide me info log, placed here (/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/YYYYMMDDHHIISS/info.log) on your target Plesk server? Also debug log (placed at the same directory) could be very useful, but it may contain sensitive data. I will be glad to start private conversation with you and help to solve migration problems.

@Aleksey Filatev,

I have made many comments about the Plesk Migrator.

You stated

CLI tool /opt/psa/bin/migrate is depricated in Plesk 12.5 and could not be used anymore on clean Plesk installations. New migration tool - Plesk Migrator - should be used instead

and I have to state:

a) Plesk Migrator - cannot be used instead until recently (micro-update 11 to 13, to be specific)

b) Plesk Migrator - still cannot be used properly, in the case of a "power user"

and the big question is: why deprecate a command line utility, that

- was working perfectly,
- could have been a backup alternative for the issues with Plesk Migrator
- still is present on Plesk 12.0.18 versions,
- is to be preferred when migrating between Plesk 12.0.18 versions,

and so on.

In short, when can we expect the Plesk Migrator to be completely bug free??

After all, upgrading to Plesk 12.5.30 is a process that often involves migrating data from a 12.0.18 Plesk instance.

Kind regards.........

@Aleksey Filatev,

Completely independent of the earlier questions, some issue with micro-updates can occur: micro-updates 11 to 13 are not (always) automatically installed, certainly in the cases in which the Plesk Migrator has not been activated and/or installed.

When taking into account that micro-updates 11 to 13 are also tackling other issues, please try to investigate the issue.

For anyone encountering the issue of micro-updates 11 to 13 not being installed: just run the autoinstaller from the command line (without installing anything) and the micro-updates will be installed, resolving some of the (minor) issues patched by these micro-updates.

Regards....

and the big question is: why deprecate a command line utility, that

Unfortunately, it does not work so perfectly: legacy Migration and Transfer Manager has a lot of issues, that was fixed in Plesk Migrator. And we have continue to working hard on bugfixing. Issue we Power User will be fixed as soon as we can, in the nearest Plesk Migrator update. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

micro-updates 11 to 13 are not (always) automatically installed, certainly in the cases in which the Plesk Migrator has not been activated and/or installed

Thank you for feedback! We will investigate this issue. Could you please provide us some details? Which OSes was affected? Unix, Windows or both? As I understand, you have Plesk 12.5 Update 11, then install Plesk Migrator 1.4 on it and see, that Update 13 was not installed yet?

@Aleksey Filatev

In response to

Unfortunately, it does not work so perfectly: legacy Migration and Transfer Manager has a lot of issues, that was fixed in Plesk Migrator.

I have to apologize: it is true.

In particular, cross-version migration (12.0.18 to 12.5.30) has a lot of issues and some of them are related to the legacy migration manager.

Moreover, I realised after typing my comment that it does not make any sense to have "an old CLI utility" in a new Plesk environment (12.5.30), that does require something else.

With respect to

Thank you for feedback! We will investigate this issue. Could you please provide us some details? Which OSes was affected? Unix, Windows or both? As I understand, you have Plesk 12.5 Update 11, then install Plesk Migrator 1.4 on it and see, that Update 13 was not installed yet?

note the following:

- test environment: linux, with ubuntu and centos (both with various OS versions) test/development servers (we have 4 to 6 servers to reproduce alleged bugs and find bug fixes)
- exclude: centos (all versions), due to the fact that we were testing some (other) bugs and, as such, micro-updates were enforced when running autoinstaller or reproducing bugs,
- exclude: ubuntu, as far as one of the ubuntu test servers was used to reproduce the alleged bug, by toggling Plesk migrator on and off,

and, hence, the only reliable reproduction of the issue was on a Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 server, with Plesk migrator set to off (i.e. not being installed).

Note that some of the ubuntu test servers were on micro-update 10 (and did not install new micro-updates automatically), while others (specifically ubuntu 14.04 test servers) were on micro-update 11 (and not installing micro-updates 12 and 13 automatically).

It seems to be the case that some micro-updates are only installed when a specific Plesk package is installed.

I cannot help you to identify the dependencies between micro-updates and Plesk packages in more detail, since any attempt to do so with (for instance) autoinstaller will result in the missing micro-updates being installed (and hence any testing or conclusion would be falsified).

However, in my humble opinion, it can be safely assumed that the autoinstaller is doing it´s work properly (since running the autoinstaller is resulting in installation of micro-updates) and hence it must be the case that has to be searched in those scripts that call autoinstaller (or similar scripts performing updates).

Hope the above helps to narrow down the (potential) issue.

Regards....

@Splitter,

I glad to inform you, that issue with migration into Plesk in Power User mode was fixed. Fix will be included into Plesk Migrator 1.5, which will be released at Dec, 16. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Back