• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

1and1 Root Server - Mail Server Issues

D

DreamWeb

Hey guys,

Excuse my general newbiness on this one.

I have a 1and1 root server package.

I do not want to use the 1and1 webmail (gross!). I would prefer to be able to setup all email accounts inside plesk.. and so on.

My question is..

I have a domain that I registered with 1and1. I already pointed the domain towards my server. But, at the moment, the mail servers are still using 1and1. If I try to change this.. it asks me for the address of my new mail server.

Does the 1and1 package come with a pre-installed mail server? Or do I need to install one myself? Where do I find the address?

Thanks again guys. I appreciate your patience!

David

Your mail server should be mail.YOURDOMAIN.com/.net/.org

Change your DNS settings for your domain in the 1and1 control panel to have your mx point to your server (mail.yourdomain.com) and set up your email addresses from within Plesk.

So, I should not have to install my own mail server? Do these packages come preinstalled with a running mail server?

Thank you.

David

Thank you for your help.

Just a bit more confusion..

Right now my server's name is
u15231395.onlinehome-server.com

So, I would change that to

mail.u15231395.onlinehome-server.com

Also.. it asks for no less than 4 MX servers when I go to redirect my mail server. ??

David

not your server name, your domain name, and you only need to enter 1 mx record.

Ok.

I didn't have a domain name associated with my server. Now I do (it's propgating currently).

I registered genemaxserver.com for my root server. I selected DEFAULT mail server in the dns settings.

Now... for my other domain that I registered with another company.. I'll point it towards my root server, and set the mail settings to mail.genemaxserver.com ?

What are the prio settings?

Thanks -again- for all your help.

David

Right, both domains should be set up in Plesk and point to your server from your registrar.

Since you only have 1 mail server (your root server), the priority will be 10.

Example:

genemaxserver.com ==>root server IP
mail.genemaxserver.com : 10

domain2.com ==> root server IP
mail.domain2.com : 10

Plesk sets up a mail. subdomain automatically whenever you create a domain. You can use either as your mail server address for whatever domains you have hosted on your server, they'll all point to the same IP. You can change this behavior via the DNS template manager so that you only use 1 mail.domain.com address as your mail server whenever you create a domain in Plesk, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Aha! Ok! That explains things! I'll try this out and get back to you.

Thanks!

David

Ok! Progress.

Right now the domain that is hosted with 1and1 is now working perfectly. I can go to mail.genemaxserver.com and retrieve all my mail.

My external domain... isn't working quite as well.

If I point the mail servers of that domain towards mail.genemaxserver.com, things work fine.. as you would expect.

I can log into webmail.genemaxserver.com and retrieve my mail.

However, it would be ideal, as you said, if I could login into webmail.myexternaldomainname.com and get my mail for that account.

When I try to point the mail servers to mail.myexternaldomainname.com however I get..

"MX 1: Subdomains of the original domainname as name servers for the original domainname need a fixed IP! Please refer to the FAQ (keyword: Glue domain)!"

Ugh!

So close!

You have to point to it from your external domains registrar, 1and1 doesn't control the domain so it doesn't control the DNS entries.

Well.. to be more precise. It -is- registered with 1and1, it's just not under the root server package.

Any further ideas? Sorry for sucking up so much of your time today.

David

okay, so in the 1and1 control panel, point the domain at your root server and then use mail.domain.com as your mail server, you may have to wait until it finishes propogating before it will take it, in the mean time you can use the other mail.domain.com for your mx server, it will resolve to the same IP and will retrieve the mail just the same.

And no problem, gotta keep busy at work somehow eh :D

I pointed the domain (castledowns.net, in this case) towards the Server IP. No problem. This works.

But when I try to point the mail server towards mail.castledowns.net

I get the dreaded error I mentioned above.

""MX 1: Subdomains of the original domainname as name servers for the original domainname need a fixed IP! Please refer to the FAQ (keyword: Glue domain)!""

I checked out the faq on Glue Domain.. but I'm far too stupid to understand any of that!

Dave

just create a subdomain in the 1and1 control panel called mail.castledowns.net then point castledowns.net's MX record to mail.castledowns.net and it should work fine. 1and1's control panel is a bit iffy when it comes to DNS management.

I did as you suggested. I created the subdomain in my 1and1 control panel.

mail.castledowns.net

Then I went back and edited the DNS settings for castledowns.net. I directed the IP towards the ip of my root server, and I changed the mail server to mail.castledowns.net

Unfortunately, webmail.castledowns.net still doesn't work. So, something still seems to be setup incorrectly.

Any other ideas?

Again, I've had no problem with domains that I've registered that fall under my Root Server package. I don't touch anything inside the 1and1 control panel... I just add them to my Plesk and bang-o.. webmail.domain.com works for all of them.

Thanks!

David

Yeah, looks like 1and1 is serving up screwy DNS records, try creating webmail.castledowns.net and point it and mail.castledowns.net at your root server and see if it works. I avoid this mess by running my own DNS server but your milage may vary.

Back