• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.5.2 upgrade with MySQL 4

modifications to Mysql init script

add at the beginning:

. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

change:

pid_file

to:
pid_file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

in the section:

'stop')

add, at the end:

exit 0

add another section:

'status')
status mysqld
exit $?
;;

create a directory:

/var/run/mysqld

with:
permissions 600,
uid.gid mysql.root

install the psa rpm. When the install finishes the pre-install script and is:

#####.....

restart mysql.

The fact that you need to restart mysql suggests that something is not right - perhaps the location of the pid file or something.

if i knew what i could create a compatible mysql rpm.

try this at your own risk.

would it be possible to patch the 4.1 source rpm with the hacks you have done to the 4.0?

perhaps that would negate the need to restart mysql 1/2 way through etc.

Well my 4.1 rpm does have the modifications I applied in 4.0 to it (largely just init script, and layout changes). The problems in 4.1 that keep it from working with PSA are pretty intense, I dont believe its something that can be fixed in mysql, rather psa has to be updated to work with it. That isnt to say a clever person could figure it out, I looked at it for a few days and heres what I came up with: The delete domain error occurs when a certain number of queries in the chain are sent (successfully), after which you get a protocol error (meaning that probably the session died unexpectedly). This is after youve had a bunch of successful queries, and queries in other parts of the system after it work fine as well, which tells me that the crash isnt in mysql. One hypothesis I have is that one of the psa utilities sends a query, and that mysql 4.1 responds with something it cant handle, so it crashes (or maybe exits 1, dunno), thus resulting in a protocol error.

so?

Does swsoft have any plans to support 4.1?
BTW ART thanks for everything :)

deleting domains.

i am using mysql version:

server version: 4.1.8-standard

with:

psa-7.5.2

i have successfully (i think!) deleted a domain without problem.

i asked sw-soft whether they intended to support 4.1, but they did not tell me.

but, i have felt optimistic, as since upgrading to 7.5.2, everything seems to work ok.

...yep, deleting domains ok.

In case anybody is interested:

4psa upgraded my 7.14 to 7.52 under redhat9 with ART's php 4.3.10 and MysQL 4 with no issues at all. The server subsequently mysteriously crashed, but there is no sign that it had anything to do with the upgrade. 4psa also pointed out that my using "les --enable-all" was the cause of my inability to use my various 4psa utils (they all gave "invalid license" errors. Interesting!)

I subsequently went completely and utterly mad and (gulp!) used the Update button in the control panel to update my backup server from 7.14 to 7.5.2, again rh9 and ART's php and mysql4. I cannot believe I actually did things this way. I'll blame it on lack of sleep. The amazing thing is that it worked, again no errors.

And then I did the same thing on a local test server. Again no errors, even though this time I ticked all the tick boxes at once (apart from Dr Web -- yuck!) at once instead of doing things one at a time like I did on the backup server. Again it worked. No errors.

And I have to say 7.5.2 rocks compared to 7.1.x. In particular I'm happy to report that the admin panel is now usable over my satlink instead of being next to uselessly slow.

One problem remins, and that regards some mysterious bandwidth usage. I'm starting a new thread on that...

Faris.

This is all very good news, I havent personally tested out 4.1 on 7.5.2 yet, but I did on 7.5.1 with the issues I mentioned before. If folks in here (Cranky noted!) that are running 4.1 successfully could you post in this forum what version of PSA, distro of linux, and whose mysql rpms you're using (mine, mysql.coms, someone elses)?

Thanks!

MySQL.com's 4.1.8 on PSA752-RHEL3 (CentOS). Their init script is a pain though as you've mentioned before, but it does seem to work without issues.

ignore this - see my post below

other 4.1 issues

you may have problems with php apps using mysql 4.1, as the password hashing method is different.

This can be avoided with:

old_passwords

...in my.cnf

if you create db users without the above setting, you can revert their password by reseting it in plesk once you have it added, and restarted mysql.

two instances

Does anyone know how to run two instances of mysql, one that is old and fully compatible with plesk along side with 4.1 ( which may be compatible with 7.5.2 but is largely untested )?

I attempted the upgrade tonight, running arts 4.0.22 rpm for mysql.

Basically... if I just do a /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld stop it won't stop, says failed.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Just a warning NOT to use MySQL 4.1 (on RHEL3 at least, probably RH7/9/Fedora too) - it's not compatible with Plesk at all. The main issue is it locking scripts out of MySQL with an error similar to this....

Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

... which can be fixed with:

SET PASSWORD FOR databasename@localhost = OLD_PASSWORD('df65fd8');

... but this then breaks phpMyAdmin for that database.

4.0.x works just fine on Plesk, stick with it for now unless you like problems.

Need 4.1

I need 4.1 for its international features is there an easy way to install it side by side with a compatible version in psa?

Originally posted by Cranky
Just a warning NOT to use MySQL 4.1 - it's not compatible with Plesk at all. The main issue is it locking scripts out of MySQL with an error similar to this....

Why is it included with Plesk 7.52 Reloaded for FreeBSD then?

Also, as I stated earlier I have been using my own compilation of it as well with no problems.

Originally posted by frozen
Why is it included with Plesk 7.52 Reloaded for FreeBSD then?

Also, as I stated earlier I have been using my own compilation of it as well with no problems.

Heh, sorry. I meant on linux (rhel3 mainly). :D

Oh, hehe. Sorry about that.

I haven't tried any MySQL upgrades on RHEL(just using the ones from up2date).

*Off Topic* Plesk 7.5.x for Windows is being uploaded to the ftp(so it appears). Hopefully it will be released soon.

Back