• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.5.2 upgrade with MySQL 4

RHEL 4.0 may force the issue :)

With RHEL 4.0 being released two days ago and coming with MySQL 4.1 as the default, guess they're going to have to find out how to make it work. It sounds like not much will actually be needed though according to the release notes:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/es-x86/

which say:

Users should note that there may be compatibility issues when migrating applications or databases from version 3.23.x to 4.1.x of MySQL. A known issue is that the default timestamp format has changed. To address these various issues, the mysqlclient10 package is included to provide the 3.23.x client library (libmysqlclient.so.10) for binary compatibility with applications linked against this legacy library.

Note
While the mysqlclient10 package provides compatibility support with the MySQL 4.1.x server, it does not support the new password encryption method introduced in version 4.1. To enable compatibility with legacy MySQL 3.x-based clients, the old_passwords parameter is enabled by default in the /etc/my.cnf configuration file. If compatibility with old clients is not required, this parameter can be disabled to allow use of the improved password encryption method.

Like I said, with RHEL 4.0 coming natively with 4.1, they are going to have to find a way to support it since RH is their most commonly used OS for Plesk hosting.

sure, once one of the big hosters adopts it, the preassure will be on. However they've already cut their deals on 3ES that go out for 5 years. So I wouldnt expect their to be any movement on this for months. Look at FC3 as an example, FC4 is almost out and still there isnt any support for it.

It's in the big hosts' best interest to rapidly adopt RHEL 4 since any MySQL newer than 3.x gives such dramatic performance improvements and that is typically where the big hosts lack due to placing too many customers on one server. Our sales rep told us they're currently expecting RHEL 4 support to be in the next Plesk/linux release cycle at the latest but possibly sooner if demand ramps up quick enough, which hopefully it will.

for the ones actually using 3ES now, maybe. 1&1 for example doesnt use it, so theyre out of the equation. EV1 and Serverbeach do, so Id say they're the ones to watch. Given that the rhel4 launch was this week (at linuxworld, where Im at right now incidentally), and the speed at which you see new OS's adopted by the big megahosters, its going to be months. Which is a good thing, there are an awful lot of apps out there that need to catch up with 4.1.

Hello,

I did also the art MySQL upgrade, but now i have this error :

Version: '4.0.23a' socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 3306 Source distribution
050217 5:14:00 /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: 'module_cs_gs_configs.MYI' (errno: 2)

I have alot of this module_cs_gs_configs.MYI errors.
I did a locate, to find where this file should be, and it seems to be have here :

/var/lib/mysql/psa/
but i see only this module_cs_* files :

ls -l /var/lib/mysql/psa/module_cs_gs_*
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 8636 Feb 9 22:01 /var/lib/mysql/psa/module_cs_gs_configs.frm
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 8578 Feb 9 22:01 /var/lib/mysql/psa/module_cs_gs_parameters.frm
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 9142 Feb 9 22:01 /var/lib/mysql/psa/module_cs_gs_servers.frm

What can be wrong, or how can i fix this ?
Thanks
Best regards
Jean

I see theplanet's offering RHEL4 already. It's a shame they can't run a datacentre or I might have been interested. :)

Back