• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Access to the server over SSH: doesn't appear dropdown menu

Squicky

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 10.13
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi everyone, unfortunately I no longer see the drop-down menu for choosing permissions for access via SSH (see attached images).
The domains created few month ago, everithing was OK and I could assign various types of settings for SSH access through the drop-down menu but now, the domains created previously have kept the option set but I can no longer change it because the drop-down menu does not appear. While, with the creation of the new domains, the access option via SSH is set to Forbidden and I cannot change it even if the permissions for managing access to the server on SSH of the service plan are set to "You can allow access to any type of shell".
Can anyone help me solve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Marco

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 12.36.24.png
    Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 12.36.24.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 12.42.25.png
    Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 12.42.25.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
There are two settings that are required for this in the service plan section. The one is on the "Permissions" tab where you'd select "Can allow access only to a chrooted environment", the other one is on the "Hosting Parameters" tab where you'd check "SSH access to the server shell under the subscription's system user" and pick "/bin/bash (chrooted)". Have you verified that in the selected service plan you have both of these set correctly?

Hi Peter, thank you very much for your quick reply!
I discovered the problem!
Strangely, if I log in as root user I cannot change the SSH access parameters from the drop-down menu, while if I log in with another administrator user, the drop-down menu appears and I have the possibility to choose the options for SSH access.
How can I change the root user privileges to have the same choices as the other administrator registered in my Plesk?

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 16.51.00.png
    Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 16.51.00.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 16.52.39.png
    Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 16.52.39.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 13
There is no "root" user in Plesk. The only user with admin privileges is "admin". "root" can be a user, but it is treated as a regular user. For that reason it is missing the admin privileges. You can create additional administrator accounts in Tools & Settings > Security > Additional Administrator Accounts. However, I'd most definitely discourage using "root" as a name. Admin is powerful, but if you run everything with "root", it is almost certainly hacker's favorite target. I am not even sure if Plesk allows this as an add-on admin account name.

There is no "root" user in Plesk. The only user with admin privileges is "admin". "root" can be a user, but it is treated as a regular user. For that reason it is missing the admin privileges. You can create additional administrator accounts in Tools & Settings > Security > Additional Administrator Accounts. However, I'd most definitely discourage using "root" as a name. Admin is powerful, but if you run everything with "root", it is almost certainly hacker's favorite target. I am not even sure if Plesk allows this as an add-on admin account name.
Hi Peter, many thanks for your support.
Actually, my admin user in Plesk is the main user that doesn't appear into the list of other Administrator users (Additional Administrator Accounts) and the user ID is "root" not "admin"... I don't know why, but this is the tha name of the login user.
Anyway, I confirm that no other admin users are into the "Additional Administrator Accounts" list with the name "root" or "admin".
The strange thing is that I created a new Admin user and with this new user I can manage the dropdown menu about SSH access for all domains registered in my Plesk platform.
I don't have idea how to solve this issue... any suggestion?

Do you own the server, meaning do you have full SSH access and it is not some kind of hosted solution, e.g. inside a container?

Do you own the server, meaning do you have full SSH access and it is not some kind of hosted solution, e.g. inside a container?
I am using a VPS service from an Italian provider (REGISTER.IT) and probably the default name of the admin user is "root" and not "admin".
But I'm sure that a few months ago, with the same administrator user "root", I could also manage the access privileges to the SSH service via the drop-down menu. Maybe now, after some Plesk updates, the privileges configuration has changed and it is no longer possible to manage this option with my specific admin (root) access.

A user with the username root is the actual linux root user. Plesk won't allow the creation of other user with the name "root".

@Squicky if you see different options in Plesk when you logged in as different user then I suspect "Restricted Mode" is enabled. Which allows certain options and functions to be restricted.

Go to Tools & Settings > Interface Management and check if Restricted Mode is enabled.

A user with the username root is the actual linux root user. Plesk won't allow the creation of other user with the name "root".

@Squicky if you see different options in Plesk when you logged in as different user then I suspect "Restricted Mode" is enabled. Which allows certain options and functions to be restricted.

Go to Tools & Settings > Interface Management and check if Restricted Mode is enabled.
Thank you very much Kaspar, the issue was right there!
Now everything is fine ... but there is still the problem of the username "root" instead of "admin".
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change it? Maybe directly with a terminal command?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation ;-)

Thank you very much Kaspar, the issue was right there!
Now everything is fine ... but there is still the problem of the username "root" instead of "admin".
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change it? Maybe directly with a terminal command?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation ;-)
You're welcome.

What's the problem you're having with the username "root" instead of "admin"?

You're welcome.

What's the problem you're having with the username "root" instead of "admin"?
My main admin username is "root" while it should be "admin" (default user for Plesk). In the additional administrators there is no "admin" listed but, if I try to add an administrator and give him the name "admin", Plesk tells me that an "admin" user already exists which, in my case, would be "root".
I hope I explained :confused:

Actually, those are two separate users. They both exist by default, no need to add/create them.

Root is the Linux root user of your system, which also can be used for SSH access (only if root login for SSH is enabled, often it's disabled because of security risks).

Admin is the default user for Plesk. Which is created when installing Plesk. If you want reset the password for the Admin user you can follow these instructions:

If you want the disable access to Plesk for the Root user (which is recommended) you can follow these instructions:

Actually, those are two separate users. They both exist by default, no need to add/create them.

Root is the Linux root user of your system, which also can be used for SSH access (only if root login for SSH is enabled, often it's disabled because of security risks).

Admin is the default user for Plesk. Which is created when installing Plesk. If you want reset the password for the Admin user you can follow these instructions:

If you want the disable access to Plesk for the Root user (which is recommended) you can follow these instructions:
Thanks a lot for your precious help, guys!
Every problems are solved,
thanks again,
Marco

Hey!

I have a similar problem. I don't see the SFTP settings either.

Unfortunately, I don't see the settings you mentioned above also. I don't have "Interface management" under "plesk appearance" or "restricted mode settings" under "plesk" so I can't test that...

I would love to use SFTP only, but I can't activate it.

Any idea why?

Thanks,
Timo

Back