• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Add Mail Server (Plesk Obsidian)

Morinohtar

New Pleskian
Hello,

I have a VPS specific just for hosting sites without the mail component, which is in another VPS, but now i want to put the mail system in the same VPS.
So i added it, configured everything, pretty much the same as the VPS that is responsible for the mails, but now i cant see the option "Mail Accounts", just "Mail Settings".
If go the url part "smb/email-address/list" it shows me the page of the mail accounts, but if i click in the "Create Email Address" button it goes back to "Websites & Domains" it shows an error msg "Error: Permission denied.".

Mail Accounts.JPG

Websites & Domains.JPG

Websites & Domains 2.JPG

So, how can i fix this? I tried executing the command "plesk repair all" but it didnt work.

Im running with Plesk Obsidian.

Thanks.

Do you have enabled "Enable mail management functions in Plesk" option in Tools&Settings > MailSettings?

Just to be clear, at first i didnt have the mail server installed in this VPS i just added later. And for some reason the option to add mail accounts wasnt made available.
Maybe i missed some step or configuration, no idea. I tried to find help in the net, but to no avail.

Please check in Mail Settings that you have Postfix as "Installed mail server" and Dovecot as "Installed IMAP/POP3 server".
Check in Services Management that these services are up and running.
In License Management check that "Mail accounts" is not limited.
Try to uninstall and install mail server in Plesk installer.

For postfix and dovecot, yes, i have both installed, up and running.

The "mail accounts" are unlimited.

I uninstalled both, reinstalled and still the same :S i even restarted the VPS between the tasks.

Ok, i tried something...

I added a new domain in Plesk and the mail part is working fine, i can create mail accounts, etc, in this domain.
So, the issue is with already existing domains. So how can i make plesk recognize that the previous existing domains need also this feature?

There must be some config file, or whatever, that is missing some sort of information i guess.

Hmmm...
Capturar.JPG

Because of adding a new domain to test the mails i can now create mail accounts for the "not working domain", but there isnt any mailbox associated with it.

So, there must be somewhere a cfg that is telling that this specific domain cant create mailboxes, though the general settings are unlimited to all domains.

Another step...

Capturar.JPG

I went to the mail table in the psa db and the mail table for the "not working domain" has the "postbox" column as false, so i changed it manually to true.
And now the mail is "working" now, but the mailbox has a 0 KB limit... still trying to find where i can change this.
The webmail login appears but i cant login, it fails, might be due to this limit, no idea.

Ok, i used this command:

plesk bin subscription_settings --update example.com -mbox_quota 100M

It updated the default size, but i cant login, it says that it failed to authenticate.

Ok, i used this command:

plesk bin subscription_settings --update example.com -mbox_quota 100M

It updated the default size, but i cant login, it says that it failed to authenticate.
Did you manage to create a mailbox for the domain?

Last edited:
Did you manage to create a mailbox for the domain?
Yes.

I also updated some settings using this command:

plesk bin subscription_settings --update

so the settings matched the demo domain i created to test mail feature.
Now i see the "mail accounts" in the mail tab.

Capturar.JPG

But i still cant login on webmail, keeps saying fail to authenticate.

I am not sure if this would solve your issue but it might be worth a try:

1. Remove current mailbox(es)
2. Disable mail service for subscription plesk bin mail --off example.com
3. Re-enable mail service for subscription plesk bin mail --on example.com
4. Run plesk bin subscription_settings --update again
4. Create mailbox and try again to login to webmail

Ok, the authentication failing was my stupidity. I hadnt changed mail setting in the dns to be working with this server, so obviously the webmail was still going to the other server... fixed that and now it is working :)

Thanks for the help and time.

Ok, i tried something...

I added a new domain in Plesk and the mail part is working fine, i can create mail accounts, etc, in this domain.
So, the issue is with already existing domains. So how can i make plesk recognize that the previous existing domains need also this feature?

There must be some config file, or whatever, that is missing some sort of information i guess.
Hello @Morinohtar,

I have a problem with emails in plesk, emails get stuck in pending area indefinitely.
Can you help me please ?

Back