• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Addon Domains?

C

CrazyTech

You'll have to forgive an old cPanel hand, but are there such things as addon domains in Plesk? If so, how do I set them up?

Thanks for baring with me guys! :)

Afraid of That

I was afraid that would be the answer. That's a difficult option for the average person to add the alias and then edit the dns zone to point to the location. I assume that the only way to do an addon domain in the cpanel sense - in cPanel's case they direct to a folder in the account - would be to allow each account to create domains.

CrazyTech, actually Plesk has nice domain alias management feature since 8.0. and there is no need to edit DNS zone manually since there is checkbox for mirroring DNS zone of parent domain.

I don't get how this would function as the equivalent of an addon domain though. Please forgive me if I am missing something, but I am looking for a setup where the addon domain gets its own folder and links to its own website different from the main domain. I don't believe that domain aliases does this?

Hy,

There is not equivalent for add-on domains in plesk. The alias is equivalent to parking.
You could have the same effect as add-on domain, with a domain forwarding, if you ask your host to add a secondary ftp address from ssh.

domain alias will contain the record in the zone file, no separate directories are created.
If you want to have some probably it is better to create subdomain.

QuickTech, I too am a cPanel "convert" looking for the same thing.

Let's try this question with some examples.

Main domain in Plesk: abc.com.
- to create a subdomain, just use the subdomain feature... pretty simple just enter the name, select the services and ok. example: 123.abc.com

To create an "addon" it is an alias... pretty simple, just enter the name and ok.: example xyz.com.

Now how do I create a subdomain on xyz.com ?

You can't add a subdomain to an alias. All an alias is is a parked domain pointed to the hosted domain. If you are looking to add a domain with its own folder structure why don't you just add a new domain to the account?

Back