• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Administration Area to send password Resets

CCHickman

Regular Pleskian
With PLESK 11's encryption of passwords, it will be harder to help clients with lost passwords.

It would be advisable to add a MASTER password reset feature wherein an administrator can send off password reset e-mails for mail, ftp, control panel access, etc. I'm not even sure that clients have the ability to do this.

Has this been considered?

Well, your customers can use the "Forgot Password" feature on the control panel. And encrypting passwords is such a good thing as it covers a security hole with which hackers could hijack the entire psa database and thus getting hold of all that kind of information.

Details here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/114330

No, Administration Area to Send Password Resets!

As PLESK 11's password encryption is optional and I have chosen it, it is quite obvious that I understand it and fully support it and will advise that EVERYONE running PLESK choose this essential (and irreversible!) option.

Regardless of how easy PLESK is to navigate for most of us, for any large web hosting company, you will have customers who will not see a 'Forget Password' option -- and who will not want to jump through THAT hoop to get to an e-mail password reset/change option.

If I have a corporation as a client and host 20 sites for them and one employee requests their password - it would be good as administrator if I could send them an e-mail with a password reset option. Thus, this skips logging into the panel for them -- especially if as an e-mail user, they do not have panel access.

Hi Chris,

I see here two possible options:
1) Admin is setting password which customer has told over the phone conversation maybe. This way customer can login immediately
2) Admin just calls "Forget Password" for a Customer. So Customer has an email with a temporary URL to follow up and reset password
Which one you were meaning here?

I think Chris' option is if say a customer sends an email asking for there control panel / email passwords ...This is very common and many don't want to use the forget password feature ..

Thanks abdi,

So you think Admin just needs "Resend password ..." in Admin UI?
It will send the same email to a customer as "Forgot Password" does. the difference is only who clicks it.

Regards

Yes, and most importantly it should be executable through API. The reasons why the admin should also do it is because most of the times customers even forget there own usernames and or the email addresses they signed up with ...

So using a "domain name" as point of identifier rather than "username & email address " seems to help very much too ...

Exactly!

Yes, that's exactly what my thoughts were! It would be a VERY useful feature to allow administrators to provide better customer support!!! It would also need to be available at the Reseller level so that resellers can provide this service.

@CCHickman +1

Password recovery for clients installing a new PC/Laptop or Mobile device is the single largest support request I get.
I am delaying the move to 11.x simply because it does not allow me this option :(

Can someone please direct me to the document/link for configuring the "Forgot Password" feature on the control panel. I need to configure the email message to user. Have no luck in the POA 5.4 doc.

Back