• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Advice on OS/host/solution

Daniel Hendricks

New Pleskian
I'm just getting started with Plesk 17.5 (coming from WHM/cPanel). I have experienced many issues and I'm trying to work through them. Current, remaining issues:
  1. SELinux doesn't like alternate vhosts directory (which is documented, though somewhat ambiguously)
  2. Clicking "Web Statistics" on any of my domains yields a 404 error.
  3. While Plesk Admin and the sites themselves are running very fast, when I click "Log In as Reseller," it is cripplingly slow.
I was contemplating starting over (which would be quite painful, since I already migrated a lot of things). So, if I do that, I'd like some advice on what would suit me best as I don't want to do it again.

I'm currently hosted on DigitalOcean, CentOS 7, Plesk 17.5.3 Update #27.

The Questions
  1. Which has fewer problems - CentOS 7 or Ubuntu 16.04? Despite preferring Ubuntu, I chose CentOS for the Imunify 360 support. However, I don't need that. I don't really care about flavors - I just want it to work as smoothly as possible.
  2. Should I stick with DigitalOcean? I really like D.O., but the Reseller panels are way too slow to use. Would I have a better experience with an AWS image? The "WordPress Server Solution" looks expensive, so I was thinking a BYOL and just add what need/want. (I'm aware that it's the same product, but I thought there might be a chance that it was configured better.)
  3. I see that the AWS Business and WordPress solutions let you use BoldGrid Premium Plus without being a "partner." Can someone verify this? The wording is ambiguous. They didn't accept my partnership application.
  4. Side question - Is it possible to remove "Java Applications," "Perl support," "Python support" and "Apache ASP support" from the panels? I read about the mod_perl and mod_python issues and don't want them to appear.
tl;dr; - Which cloud provider/OS am I going to have the smoothest experience with using Plesk 17.5 Web Host edition?

Thank you.

Which has fewer problems - CentOS 7 or Ubuntu 16.04? Despite preferring Ubuntu, I chose CentOS for the Imunify 360 support. However, I don't need that. I don't really care about flavors - I just want it to work as smoothly as possible.
No one will answer you to this. Fans of Ubuntu will say that they have fewer problems, and Centos fans will insist on their own. Only you can decide for yourself.
Should I stick with DigitalOcean? I really like D.O., but the Reseller panels are way too slow to use. Would I have a better experience with an AWS image? The "WordPress Server Solution" looks expensive, so I was thinking a BYOL and just add what need/want. (I'm aware that it's the same product, but I thought there might be a chance that it was configured better.)
Again, this is up to you. Use the solution that suits you more.
Side question - Is it possible to remove "Java Applications," "Perl support," "Python support" and "Apache ASP support" from the panels? I read about the mod_perl and mod_python issues and don't want them to appear.
Just go to Plesk installer and remove all that you need.
Which cloud provider/OS am I going to have the smoothest experience with using Plesk 17.5 Web Host edition?
I would suggest using Amazon image.

Thank you for your answers. Of course I want to use the solution(s) that is/are best for me, however, it is a bit troublesome to have to keep reloading/configuring/testing in various different environments or when something breaks and I can't fix it. It is why I was hoping that someone might have some input. For example, the SELinux thing on CentOS, etc.

Regardless, I reloaded on Ubuntu and everything is running smoothly except for the really slow customer and reseller panels. Clicking items in them takes almost exactly 60-61 seconds to load each page. This very consistent number leads me to believe that something is timing out somewhere, but I do not have evidence.

Daniel

Back