• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Servus

Basic Pleskian
Hello. Since PHP by vendor (ubuntu) upgrade to 7.0.22 mpm event was automatically changed to "prefork" during upgrade in shell. I use "only" nginx without apache (no reverse proxy) by all of my websites, with this setting php 7.1.18 is served by nginx.
PHP 7.0. module in apache setting is "NOT" checked since I use Ubuntu 16.04. (also before at the time I used php 7.x.x FPM served by apache and apache with nginx as reverse proxy).
1. Is it really correct that module PHP 7.0 is not checked in Apache settings? In other words perhaps: When is it necessary to activate module PHP? (not to give customers this option as another possible handler, but for security and server performance and security reasons)
In plesk docus I wonder every time I read that websites services won't work, e.g. webmail or perl scripts if module php is not activated in apache settings. (also in my php handler settings I haven't activated the whole package PHP 7.0.22 by OS vendor).

2. related question
: Since PHP by vendor was upgraded to 7.0.22 the old php version is already displayed.
Is there a possibility to update the displayed version to the real installed version?

Plesk_PHP_Handler.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @Servus,
I can only answer your 1. question:
By the amazing help of @UFHH01 and also @IgorG for the further explanation of PHP version in PHPMyAdmin I can thankfully link this tutorial to you, because I had the same question a few months before:
List and Update PHP handler by OS vendor (little tip from myself: leave the brackets with (default) out, otherwise you have it in your handlers list) :p

To question 2. I'm also interested in, because in my apache settings is also PHP module not checked/activated and I want to know what to do, or nothing.

Thank you all for this.
Please, can someone help me what to do with PHP module 7.0 in apache settings?

Plesk_PHP_Handler .jpg

Hi Servus,

if your question is, how to enable disabled PHP - handlers, the answer would be:

Identify the corresponding "ID" for your PHP - handler
Code:
plesk bin php_handler --list

Enable a PHP - handler:
Code:
plesk bin php_handler --enable -id cgi

Disable a PHP - handler:
Code:
plesk bin php_handler --disable -id cgi

See the HELP documentation over the command line, in order to inform yourself about possible command options:
Code:
plesk bin php_handler --help
or read the depending Plesk documentation about it:​

Hello UFHH01!
Thank you for help and instructions. I already read the plesk instructions and some basics about php handlers. For me is only interesting about the fuctionality of plesk and perhaps services. For example I wanted to run redis or another kind of cache. Do I need mod_php for it? or this question is very very important for me: Do I need php as apache module for better performance together with other php handlers? Most important about php as apache module are security things.
For me is interesting, what You would suggest?
Do you run it, if so, for which sense?
I don't run it, I use FPM handlers for webhosting. But I mean could it be better to run it for some reasons? MPM is inolved.
Otherwise I don't know why it is already useable. Only for the reason running apache standalone without nginx for example.
Sorry to ask about simple thing like that, in earlier years I had activated it, but this were other times without the great progress which was made with PHP.

Kind regards

Hi Servus,

For me is only interesting about the fuctionality of plesk
Plesk itself has its very own webserver ( sw-cp-server ). Your webserver configurations ( apache and/or nginx ) are only relevant for your hosted domains and their content. ;)

For example I wanted to run redis or another kind of cache. Do I need mod_php for it?
No, you don't need "mod_php" and it is declared to be insecure by now, which is the reason why the current, default setting is now => disabled

For me is interesting, what You would suggest?
I suggest the very same, as Plesk: Pls. disable this PHP - Handler, as it is insecure.

Back