• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Backup failed: Runtime error (hosting archives)

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi,
Sorry to ask again for help due to backup errors the last 24 hours.
Only one subscription on the server for my 8 + 1 (ISP) domains.
Error:
Runtime error: ack Broken pipe: write( 12, 'domains/domain.com/backup_user-data_1612170056.tgz ' ) at /opt/psa/PMM/agents/shared/IPC/Run/IO.pm line 558.
Warning: hosting "domain.com"
Hosting on domain domain.com is skipped from backup due to error: ack Broken pipe: write( 12, 'domains/domain.com/backup_user-data_1612170056.tgz ' ) at /opt/psa/PMM/agents/shared/IPC/Run/IO.pm line 558.
This error and warning appeared only for 4 domains (the last four in the list), some warnings were (doubled) duplicated, one for three times.
Please, can you help me, if you need logs, no problem.

Greets

I've had lots of broken pipe errors on Onyx. Possibly turned out for me a bad connection/drive full on my FTP server.

Seems ok the last couple of backups.

Have you checked that?

No, sorry not in my case. it's alway the same last webhostings/domains.
My FTP is empty and connection well. The problem must be on the server.
Hope to get help. Great that is working on your server again.

Last edited:
Is the free space of your /tmp partition or the directory you are using to store the temporary copy of your backup big enough to hold the complete backup before it is transferred to your external FTP storage?

If I may add something to the discussion, and also correct Peter as his statement isn't valid for Onyx anymore. (Sorry, Peter)

had exactly the same error message
/opt/psa/PMM/agents/shared/IPC/Run/IO.pm line 558.
but as I couldn't figure out the root cause of the problem - not one mentioned here above - I eventually contacted Sergey, the Plesk backup Dev.

To summon up his findings:
Hi, TomBob. Thank you for help. I've found 2 issues in backup.log:
1. It seems that the ProFTPd at FTP server has TimeoutSession=50m it means all part of backup must be uploaded during this time.
2. When backup process catches the issue above it try to reconnect to the FTP server and resume upload but the server configuration does not allow to use APPE and REST FTP commands so we cannout resume upload and stop backup:
Unforunately, it also means that incremental backup to FTP and selective restore from FTP will not work with this FTP server. Because backup index used for this operation located in the end of .tar file and we user REST command to get it.
If you have root access to the FTP server you could allow APPE/REST commands (preferred way) or increase TimeoutIdle value (it fixes only full backup creation but incremental backup to FTP and selective restore still will not work).

and to come to Peters statement, when I asked Sergey:
Do you know if the configuration of Onyx its backup procedure changed in comparison to Plesk 12.5? Just asking as no changes were done to the FTP server and backup under 12.5 ran fine.
Sergey explained
When you run server backup to FTP Plesk 12.5 creates a full backup (web, mail, DB archives for all subscription) in local storage and then it send them to the FTP storage. Plesk Onyx consumes less disk space because does not create full backup in local storage - it sends each mail, web or DB archive to the FTP storage as soon as it created. It leads to following changes in interaction with FTP server:
1. Plesk 12.5 uses only RETR command to get a backup index from FTP but Plesk Onyx uses pair REST / RETR commands to get it.
2. Plesk 12.5 opens a connection to the FTP server when a full backup is ready but Plesk Onyx opens it as soon as first part of content ready. So Onyx has to keep the connection alive longer than 12.5 to avoid upload interruption by timeout we try to reconnect and resume download by APPE command.

Thought i throw this info about the different internal backup procedure for Onyx into the discussion to spread the word.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Back