• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Backup Manager Which Port

Koda

New Pleskian
Hi

I have a strange problem: I use the Backup Manager to Backup to a FTP Repository. My custom FTP Port is 34. This work. But when I enable the Plesk Firewall it don't work.
When I open outgoing Port 34 it can't show my backups on ftp
Which Port did plesk need to show the backups from my FTP and save the Backups in my FTP?

Last edited:
It is possible that you must add a passive port range to proftpd and allow these passive ports for incoming and outgoing traffic. When FTP starts, it uses the default FTP port for negotiation of the connection, but the actual data transfer is done through other ports. These others are not automatically opened when you open port 34.

I have a question for you, too: Why do you not use port 21 as other FTP servers do? Is that a security thing?

It is possible that you must add a passive port range to proftpd and allow these passive ports for incoming and outgoing traffic.
I have insert 60000-65534 like here: https://alex.bouma.me/enable-passive-ftp-plesk-11-and-12/ So the FTP connection to Plesk work perfect.

When FTP starts, it uses the default FTP port for negotiation of the connection, but the actual data transfer is done through other ports. These others are not automatically opened when you open port 34.
But which port are this? I think it's not only one port.

I have a question for you, too: Why do you not use port 21 as other FTP servers do? Is that a security thing?
No. Port 21 is allready used for an other Server. The Backup FTP is in my Homenetwork. with QNAP NAS. But with port 21 it is not bether

And I think it is no problem with my homenetwork, and no problem with port 28 or FTPS. It works with port 21, with port 28 and with ftps when Firewall from Plesk is disabled

Last edited:
If you enable passive ports 60000 - 65534 in your FTP configuration, then you also need to allow incoming and outgoing traffic through these ports in your firewall. That's the "other ports" I meant. So simply add a rule to allow in and out traffic through the firewall for ports 60000 - 65534 and you are all set.

My question about port 34 was just out of curiosity.

Thank you. But the connection is allready blocked I have tested wihite FTP, FTPS and passiv

Thank you. But the connection is allready blocked I have tested wihite FTP, FTPS and passiv
That is not possible when you open port 34 plus add a rule for the passive ports. What could block the connection if the firewall allows traffic through these ports? That does not make sense.

Back