• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Backup warnings caused by webstat log files

joshuao

New Pleskian
Hi,

I am getting the following warnings during the server backup process (Server Management > Tools & Settings > Backup Manager):

Code:
Warning: Subscription "example-domain.com"
Not all the data from /var/www/vhosts/example-domain.com was backed up successfully:
  second-domain.com/logs/access_log.webstat: Cannot open: Permission denied
  second-domain.com/logs/access_ssl_log.webstat: Cannot open: Permission denied

The problem seems to affect all 'secondary' subscription domains. i.e.

Subscription: example-domain.com
  • Domain: example-domain.com ('primary'). Log path /var/www/vhosts/example-domain.com/logs/access_*log.webstat - no backup warnings
  • Domain: second-domain.com ('secondary'). Log path /var/www/vhosts/example-domain.com/second-domain.com/logs/access_*log.webstat - generates backup warnings
  • Domain: third-domain.com ('secondary'). Log path /var/www/vhosts/example-domain.com/second-domain.com/logs/access_*log.webstat - untested (all subscriptions currently only have one or two domains associated)
I have compared the ownership, permissions and attributes of the log directories and files and they are exactly the same. I have also run the plesk repair fs domain.com utility for both domains and no issues were found.

Any advice?

A single repair does not fix this. Everytime the files are generated or modified, the same permission issue re-appears, causing daily warnings in the backups.

As a workaround for the moment, does the "Exclude log files" option still cause these files to throw the permission issue in the backup log?

It does throw the error in the general full server backup, although we don't store log files in that backup.

Instead of using the repair service, have you tried running this command?

Code:
# find /var/www/vhosts/domaingeneratingtheerror.com/logs/ -type f -a -not -perm 644 -exec chmod 644 {} \;

Thank you. However, it's not so much about finding the accounts. The problem is that despite the "Exclude log files" being checked, Plesk attempts the back-up. We had set-up a cron job that restores other permissions, but it seems that shortly before the backup is attempted, permissions are set to 0400, so that this does not mitigate it.

I have now filed a bug report, because the issue appears randomly across servers and subscriptions. It neither affects all servers, nor all subscriptions. Just a very few from time to time.

After detailed analysis in our latest case we found that the customer has been interfering with the files. So third-party scripts have been causing the issue, not the Plesk backup. I have updated the bug report accordingly, no further action is needed.

Back